We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks / ATM's

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Banks / ATM's

Which banks if any in Mombasa accept Maestro cards to withdraw money.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Banks / ATM's

We bank with Bank of Africa near Naivas. They offered us the rate free of commission.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Banks / ATM's

Great deal

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Banks / ATM's

Doff, just a few lines. I wish I had left the cash in my bank and drawn it on my Maestro Card. At the bank I got 20,000KES for £138.78 plus £5.20 charges. I know now it would have been cheaper to have drawn on my card than giving out Sterling for 135KES for £1. It seems like the bank give you the online rate at the time of withdrawal which is a far better option than carrying Sterling with you and having the chance of it being stolen.

Giardino's is pretty good though as the Boss gives you the going rate as well so it's an advantage to stay here.

The Boss is leaving here to return to Italy where his father is apparently pretty poorly and I doubt he has any intentions of returning,which, to Mombasa, will be a big loss. Accommodation isn't the 5 Star type but suffices in every regard, clean and very friendly. Manager can't do enough for you and staff are pleasant and polite. I'm surprised the Government don't inject much needed money into their main area of tourism , the Nairobi Airport. It has to be acceptable in the circumstances but I feel they could have done better things in the time they've had so far to make it a more pleasant experience especially to a popular destination. I was out on the sea yesterday and was thinking to myself "oh how the other half live, this is the life", fabulous warm sea, weather brilliant and then thought back to dipping my toes in the North Sea or is it the Arctic Ocean. Once again your help has been tremendous and thank you very much.

Stay well and take care.

Best Regards

Bob Bell

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Banks / ATM's

Bob,

Thanks for the thanks, glad you are enjoying it.

Your comments about cards and ATMs just reinforce what I say in nearly all my answers when people ask what currency to bring. ATMs are the most convenient, open 24/7, no queues, take out what you need when you need it and because of the interbank rate even with fees it's better than all but the very best forexs.

Re 'how the other half lives' I've really felt the cold all the time I've been in the UK but I'm off back to the heat of the coast in a couple of days, see it's due to peak around 32° today

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Banks / ATM's

Doff, not as hot as it was yesterday but certainly hot enough for me. Bit overcast but when the sun shines it certainly burns. Can't remember being so hot since Uganda last year.

Sorry I thought you stayed here and just went back to the UK now and then. Well now I know what you're talking about it was freezing in Edinburgh last weekend after they expected 20 degrees, could've fooled me. I hope you have a great holiday when you come, enjoy some much needed sun and enjoy how the other half live. Wish I could win the Euromillions, I know where I'd be in a flash.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,719 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Banks / ATM's

No you were right Bob. I live in Mtwapa and come back to the UK to catch up with friends and family, as one of my friends said in the pub the other night I come to Newcastle for my holidays these days

17. Re: Banks / ATM's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa