We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

Perth
Level Contributor
14 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

Me and my fiancé are set to honeymoon in Africa this coming august. A while back we booked to spend a night at voyager beach hotel in mombasa before flying to the Masai Mara for 3 nights safari, then back to voyager for 5 nights to relax at the hotel before travelling to other parts of Africa.

However, with the recent terrorist threats and advice for Brits not to travel to mombasa I was hoping someone who is currently in mombasa or who has been there in the last month could let me know the safety situation there please.

I have contacted the mombasa safari group we are travelling with and try have assured us that things are normal there.. But then you read in the newspaper that a taxi with tourists in had A grenade threw at it... Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

Hi,

there is no denying that things are far from perfect but it is not exactly super dangerous as well and thankfully things have been quiet of late.

There have been ongoing grenade terror attacks for quite some time now but you would still have to very unfortunate to end up in trouble. There have been instances in Diani, Mtwapa, Nyali where tourist are based but they are still relatively safe.

I am British living in Nairobi and I would not feel unsafe spending time at Voyager hotel and Nyali beach.

Only yourself can determine your own risk at the end of day no matter where you go.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

Have you read your own government's travel advisory on Mombasa? It's not a great deal different to the UK's.

The issue seems to be not what the current situation is but what the Governments think there is a risk of in the future.

At the moment all is quiet and peaceful here and life is going on as normal. The only incident that was targeted at tourists so far is the one you refer to which happened on the way to the ferry on the South Coast in December last year. Though it is not clear exactly what did happen in that incident and why.

However that is largely irrelevant, the current warnings are because the governments are worried what may happen in the near future. The UK government seems to think there may be a change of approach by the terrorists and that they may start to target westerners rather than the ordinary Kenyans who have been the targets so far.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

Matthew, Australia has had a travel advisory for a number of months for Mombasa. This has affected a lot of travellers insurance, and we have had most of our Australian clients avoid Mombasa for this reason. Double check to see if you are covered for a visit to Mombasa, let alone the transfer from the airport to your hotel and back.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

I feel like there's always a travel warning for Kenya. We went in February (there was a warning as well) and everything was fine & quiet.

You'll have a great time, Kenya is awesome!

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

I am travelling from Mumbai to Mombasa with a stopover at Nairobi.MY questions are

Should I obtain and do immigration check at Nairobi or Mombasa

6. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 16:05
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

You enter the country at Nairobi so you will go through immigration there. You then switch to the Domestic Terminal for the internal flight to Mombasa

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

ensure cou collect your luggage and take it through customs and then you just check it in at the domestic check in

9. Re: Mombasa (& airport transfer) safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:16