We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

Hi All, We are thinking of staying in this resort November 2015.

How safe is this area, and does anyone know what is the resort like?

eg, distance to eateries,, supermarket etc

Many thanks

Mary

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

Hi,

I've not been in the rooms at Royal Reserve but I have been to meet Hazda, the TA Destination Expert for Kikambala in the central pool area for a drink, and that area was very pleasant, I also looked at the menu which was nice and reasonably priced (as Royal Reserve is part of a time share organisation I don't know if guests pay for their meals). If Hazda sees this I'm sure she'll tell you about the resort and she knows much more about the area than me.

In terms of distance to eateries, supermarkets, etc it is a bit out on a limb, Kikambala is the last of the Mombasa North Coast beach areas after Nyali, Bamburi and Shanzu, and RR is around a mile and a half from what was the tourist heart of Kikambala. Sun & Sand used to be at the heart of the Kikambala tourist industry, but it closed and more than half of it was demolished to make way for an ambitious apartment development, which seems to have ground to a halt. The remaining part was refurbished and has re-opened as a much smaller hotel but it no longer caters for the international package holiday market, relying instead on Kenyan customers. Consequently the 'strip' is very quiet these days and some of the bars and shops have closed for lack of business, and the strip like some other tourist areas on the coast is like a ghost town. But as I say RR is well over a mile from the 'strip in a quiet, pretty secluded area. There is a decent restaurant The Maradadi, virtually right next door to the RR and it's couple of miles to the Seychelloise restaurant,, Boko Boko on the main highway going north.

The main shopping, bar (literally hundreds of them), restaurant, etc area is to the south in Mtwapa, it's about two miles to the main highway, then another two south to the northern edge of Mtwapa where Mtwapa Mall is, there is a large Tuskys hypermarket there, plus a a few shops, medical centre, a couple of banks, cafe bar, restaurant, etc. Mtwapa then stretches south along the highway for more than a mile, There are some excellent restaurants in Mtwapa, Moorings floating restaurant and La Marina on Mtwapa Creek, and if you turn left just before the mall and head back down to the sea, you'll come to the wonderful Monsoons informal seafood restaurant on a semi-private beach and accessed through the ruins of a 14th century Swahili town. There is a a short cut between RR and Monsoons which is only a couple of miles but the road is pretty rough.

See the map in the FAQS on the right of this page to get your bearings, all the places I've mentioned and many others are marked on it (scroll down the list to Kikambala then click on Royal Reserve)

In terms of safety, the immediate area is as safe as anywhere on the Kenyan coast, it's not somewhere where you would go walking after dark, but then there are few areas around here that are, as much to do with bush, roughness of roads, lack of lighting as much as any criminal threat.

In terms of wider safety it is outside the area that the UK FCO travel advisory refers to, however you would have to travel through the area of the advisory in order to get there from the airport, This means that your travel insurance would not be valid if anything happened to you while you were travelling through the 'no go' area. The local tourist organisations have recognised this and have got together with a Kenyan insurance company to arrange local insurance to provide cover for UK travellers who still want to come and pass through or stay in the 'no go' area. This facility is due to be launched in Mombasa Town on Tuesday 5 August at the Moi Avenue Tusks.

I've written several times about the current situation at the coast generally in the last few weeks so i won't repeat it, but here's the last one I wrote from a couple of days ago, it starts about the South Coast, but the bulk of it is still relevant to the North Coast

tripadvisor.co.uk/…60110054

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

Thank you so much for your reply. This has helped us very much to decide wether if this resort is suitable for us.

Many Thanks

Edited: 03 August 2014, 10:41
Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
524 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

I have been staying at RR for the past 10 years.It suits us really well. It is somewhat remote but you can get a taxi from the resort to restaurants, shopping and other places of interest. I have the number of a very good driver.

The rooms are very large. You can self cater if you wish. The resort has a frontage onto the beach with askaris/ security posted 24/7.There is a small shop on site but this tends to be expensive. You can get to Mtwapa where there is a Tusky's supermarket. Also there is a free bus to Nakumat at Nyali on Wednesdays.

The area is safe and the resort has security at the gates.

Lovely well kept pools and grounds.

Like many places the resort has suffered from low bookIngs but the staff always look after us very well.

Doff has given you a lot of information but if you need more just send me a PM.

I will be back at RR for September.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 12:07
4. Re: The Royal Reserve Safari and Beach Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16