We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Kenya Coast Tourism Association has finally launched an Inbound Insurance Cover targeting at the thousands of British tourists who would love to visit Mombasa and Kenya but are not able buy an insurance cover back home. In partnership with AIG Insurance Co which is a global firm it is now possible to do that. All hotels and tour operators are able to link you up on same.To buy the cover get in touch with :

AIG Kenya Insurance Co Ltd

Walter Orato

Email: walter.orato@aig.com

Tel: =254.20.3676901 & +254.720.854979

mombasa
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

I believe this will help any traveller from UK who wants to visit Mombasa

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

would think it might help but as most tourist comming to mbsa come on a package deal

ie flight hotel insurance why not as ive said before get the hotels and kq together and offer a complete package at a reasonable rate same as thompsons and u will get the tourists back

insurance is a step in the right direction tho

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

all the Insurance companies in the UK need to pull together on this one .................... my Insurance company will insure me but have added extra money for travelling through Mtwapa or visiting Mombasa ... but I have several friends whose Insurance companies wont insure them --- or have insured without any extra added....... lets hope this scheme is a good one to encourage the many UK tourist back again

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Why have they added extra for Mtwapa, Edna? After all it's outside the UK FCO no-go area, Shanzu, Bamburi Beach or Nyali I could understand , they are all inside the area in the advisory but it finishes at Mtwapa Creek.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

we are not covered for Mombasa Town or 4 kilometres from Mtwapa . . crazy days

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Edna,

is it possible you or the insurance company have misread the endorsement?

The area that isn't covered should be FROM Mombasa Town TO Mtwapa Creek and 5 km inland, (so covering, Town, Bombolulu, Kisauni, Nyali, Bamburi and Shanzu) not just Mombasa Town AND Mtwapa.

It you are staying at Bamburi Beach as usual you shouldn't be covered at the hotel but when you come through Mtwapa to Kikambala you should be covered once you have crossed the Creek

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Is it possibe to provide the details on TA of insurance companies who WILL insure for trips to Kenya. So travellers who want to come know where to go to get insurance?

uk
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

best thing on ins is to shop around i would think there are plenty that will cover you for a small premium extra no different to medical ins .some will some wont just google and email them

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Wayne,

there should be no problem getting UK based insurance for a Kenyan holiday, UK insurance would cover you for Nairobi, the parks and reserves, Western, Rift Valley etc, the problem relates to the relatively small 'no go area' in the UK FCO Advisory stretching from Tiwi on the South Coast, through Mombasa Town and up to Shanzu on the North Coast. and Lamu.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AIG Kenya Insurance launches Inbound Insurance for Tourists

Am I missing something here? What exactly are 'we' insuring against and why will that cover lapse if I temporarily wander outside the FCO's arbitrary cordon sanitaire?

My Annual cover is for the usual Medical and Emergency Expenses, Cancellation and curtailment, Baggage, missed connections, delays etc., etc.,

My cover for lost baggage, health problems or a missed connection at Gatters won't lapse or be void just cos I had a meal at Bamburi Beach. Of course if I have a thrombi at the size of the bill when I come to pay, I doubt that will be covered, but that is such a minute risk I am happy to carry it.

As we can see from drakedrum's problem I don't think even the Insurers know how they are to apply their own "restrictions!".

Worry not. Just get on the plane and enjoy a holiday.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 10:03