We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Your words of wisdom would be appreciated to help us choose between these hotels for our family holiday next year! We are a couple in our mid 40's with 2 girls who will be 16 & 12 at the time of our trip next July. We like good food (buffets are fine as long as they're not repetitive) and good service, clean rooms and comfy beds, being able to get sunbeds around the pool in a shady spot without getting up at silly o'clock to reserve them and a bit of entertainment on an evening wouldn't go a miss.

Both hotels seem to fit above criteria and read all the reviews on this site and still can't decide! Has someone visited or seen both recently and can give an opinion??

Many thanks in advance!

Lyn

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Whichever you pick give the pool boy/girl a hundred shillings on the first day and they'll most likely be tripping over themselves to 'reserve' the same beds for you every day after that because they know you will continue to show your appreciation every couple of days throughout your stay.

We did that at Leopard Beach Resort and just used to swing by on our way to breakfast to let them know we'd be there that day too. I must say it was a bit annoying to see beds automatically reserved by pool staff for guests who then didn't show up all day, so it was more considerate to let the staff know.

No-one takes a blind bit of notice of any signs saying "guests are not allowed to reserve sun beds" and we weren't going to be the only couple standing up by the pool all day. I'm sure the Germans get up before dawn!

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

hi ,

Two girls 16 and 12 oh! boy..... well i think deffinatly the Voyager,

not only for the hotel but you are in the main hotel run......

every thing is that bit nearer shops,entertainment restaurants where as the S&S is in Kikambala quite a way out ,, it is a lovely hotel but the girls would prefer the Voyager, and remember.....

Happy children will give you both a relaxing holiday.........

Buffets are repetitive...but you have the option of using all the differnt eating places in the hotel and outside.. you do need a taxi to visit some of the restaurants especially at night ...but you will get to see a bit more of the Kenyan way of life.......

As sagalout suggested to you ...give the pool attendant a few ksh and he will reserve your beds........remember the golden rule.....a few ksh will always be appreciated.............

regards ed

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Many thanks for your replies Sagalout and drakesdrum. we are lucky in that as a family we have travelled and seen a fair bit of the world, stayed in wonderful B&B's and downright poxy 5*s! We like like to see some of the "real life" in places where we stay and meet local people and from the advice I've been reading on these boards it looks like Kenya will fit the bill perfectly! I am hedging towards the Voyager I must admit but if anyone else has a view then please let me know.

Lyn

Hampshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Hi

I don't know about Sun n Sand, but we have just returned from Voyager with our 15 and 13 year olds. They loved it. It is very secure so they went off and had fun and met up with us from time to time. Everything is all inclusive, so they had no problems getting drinks and ice creames when ever they wanted them.

We tended to use the cafe at lunch time. Partly because there is only so much good food you can eat, so a salad, pizza, berger etc., was all that we wanted and partly because you could just wonder up in your swim wear.

The evening meal in the main restaurant had plenty of choice and during our 10 night stay we found we had enough variety. It is buffet, but that was not a problem.

I personally think it was worth the little extra for a sea view room and would recommend the top floor on block 4. But that is just personal choice. The sound of the sea and the veiws were fantastic.

The evening entertainment that the staff put on is very amitor dramatic, but the visiting artists are very good. It is split about 50/50.

Hope this helps

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

there is plenty of shade at Voyager if you need it and you can spill over onto the lawned areas there......never had a problem getting towels or beds, not once, and that was during the school hol's at Easter. Another bonus for us was that the transfer time frorm airport was only about 25 mins.......ummm..... Looks like you'll have to pull a name out of the hat to decide where to go and try the short straw one another time LOL

southend essex
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

have you made up your mind yet??? I have an 11 year old and have booked the voyager for next july 24th but still dont know wehter I have made the right choice!!!! Keep thinking of changing it but will stick with this at the moment let meknow what you do!!!

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

I can only speak for the Voyager but would recommend it 100% to anyone of any age group. The grounds and pools are brilliant, and the animation team have loads of things on the go to keep people occupied if that's what you want. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Deliberated for ages but settled on the Voyager and flying out 9th July so we'll miss you unfortunately. My 11 going on 12 year old daughter can't wait as she wants to be a vet and work with animals in their natural habitat and so is nagging me now to sort the safari out (feel another few TA posts coming on !) The eldest is just moaning about getting up early on safari and wondering if there'll be a plug for her hair straighteners!

England
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

Hi there,

Me and my girlfriend have just returned from the sun n sand 2 days ago. People are right it is a bit out the way but there is so much for them to do, 3 large swimming pools one with a river with small slides on it. there is a room with pool tables and a small gym and also floodlit tennis courts. We found the evening entertqainment brilliant, there were brilliant bands and acrobats which did amazing things, fire eating ballancing on chairs etc. there are 2 lads ( Rooney & Slim Shadey who will organise lots of daily activities and there is also the water sports they can do all inclusive on the beach

Hope this helps

matt uk

Gateshead
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP - Sun n Sand or Voyager hotel??

We're going on the 30th July to the Voyager, we have one of each flavour, girl (Sam 14) and boy (Rob 11).

And guess what !!!!!!!

We cannot wait.

See u there.

Phil

Get answers to your questions about Mombasa