We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

We are going away over christmas and I have a few questions which I would be grateful for any guidance on.

Can anyone tell me please whether it is strictly necessary to cover up in the evenings to avoid being bitten? I have brought some 100% deet and have got some avon so soft and am hoping that should be enough.

Does it get chilly in the evenings?

Also is there a greater risk by the beach than on safari?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

Me and hubby must taste disgusting........after day 3 of the hols we didn't use our Avon or Deet, nothing at all for 11 days (some safari and some beach). Not a single bite and flesh was exposed!

You can altogether obsess too much about avoiding the mozzies so I wouldn't bother going to the lengths of wearing long sleeves and trousers all the time. Years ago a mozzy once bit my b*m to bits - whilst I was wearing loose legged trousers, determined little blighter - hope I sat on it.

No perfume or aftershave might help.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

Loads of people were in short sleeves and dresses......they can get up trouser legs and down backs of shirt collars so I don't think the covering head to toe helps much anyways. Your well prepared with the deet and Avon SSS, apply spray on ankles, wrist's, back of neck etc.....and it won't feel chilly in the evenings will be a nice warm breeze on the coast, I ddn't know about the safari part, sorry. Might be an idea to keep a "plug in" on total usein room, as cleaners tend to leave all the patio doors open after they have been in.

wales uk
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Hi All

Just back and had a great time.

We all used the avon skin so soft and I didn't get a single bite.

I think that you can be paranoid about mossies but don't let them spoil a great holiday.

All the best

Jason

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

Thank you everyone - I feel happy now knowing that it is not necessary to completely cover up.

Can't wait to go!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
128 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

So are we saying that by using the DEET and the Avon SSS we don't need to bother with the Malarone ????????

Which Avon SSS is it please ?

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Apparently its the Avon Skin So Soft soft & fresh dry oil spray. (used to be known as woodland or something). I can't verify as haven't tried it yet, but have packed plenty for when I go on 15th Jan!!

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

Applemac.....you **must** still take your anti-marlaria tabs. The spray and lotions are just another side prevention against being bitten in the first place.

Yep, used to be called woodland fresh.....it's the Green lidded/labelled one

belgium
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

For holidays it is advisable to take malaria preventives e.g.malarone.

Even malarone is not 100% safe , so mosquitoes bites are best avoided, mosquito nets and deed products are also advisable

On the other hand I am staying now for almost three months in Kenya without taking preventives, nor aplying deed products, for my own comfort I sleep under a mosquito net. So far I am alive and kicking :-) .

yorkshire
Level Contributor
128 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks everyone, am getting the malarone ordered today.

Safarine which hotel are you staying at ? possibly flying on same plane as we're touching down at gatwick for more passengers .

apple

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos

I'm just back and I wasnt bitten once in two weeks