We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

Hello,

I am going to Shanghai in a couple of days for a Business Trip.

I am wondering which is the Best VPN to use while in Shanghai?

I've heard many VPN are not working due to the censorship. Seems like some protocols like Open VPN are blocked?

My work requires access to Gmail and Facebook.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
55 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

Hello,

I am living in Shanghai.

I would recommend you to read a bit before making a choice.

For example this guide is very well done as they did the test from China so i consider it accurate : https://anonymster.com/best-vpn-china/

You have to read through the line when you choose a VPN for China so refer to some reliable guide about the topic from people who actually tested them within China as some of them are indeed blocked.

The great firewall of China is getting stronger in 2017 as China has passed some new laws related to VPN.

Have a good trip !

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
2. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2017, 04:55

3. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2017, 14:05

4. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 April 2017, 04:10
Edited: 11 April 2017, 04:10

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

Hello,

Thanks Marc for your answer.

I ended up reading this guide you shared and getting for a month membership of: https://goo.gl/uA4ObL (express)

I asked my colleague in Shanghai to try this VPN and it seems to work fine, seems i will be covered once i have arrived.

I will report once I am there.

Thx !

Edited: 11 April 2017, 04:37
Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

I was in Beijing last October,

I can confirm what is being said in the Anonymster guide.

I also did the mistake of getting a VPN which has not been tested within China and it wasn’t working.

Seems you need to really to follow the advice of people testing VPN within China as what is working outside of China will not necessarily work inside China.

The Internet in China is more like an Intranet they control everything.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,428 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

This thread needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

8. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2018, 15:19

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

I know for a fact that if you have Avast, there is a built-in VPN you can use for free for a week if you need. Otherwise, google is your friend when finding this info. However the one you chose is one of the top VPN's in the country, you should be fine.

Shanghai, China
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?

Hello Meredith, actually that two VPN are blocked in China. I tried and it doesnt work. The article above was right actually. Listed VPN are working well.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Best VPN for China, which one to choose ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted