We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing Underground city

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing Underground city

I want to submit a review of a tour of Beijing Underground City when I visited in 1985 and the complex was virtually unknown in the West and most people did not believe its existence let alone its enormity. I don't know how to send in a review. I even have lots of photos I was allowed to take when it was a fully used city!!! Help me to submit a review please

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
936 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing Underground city

The Underground City is now closed, I visited it in 1989, four years after you!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing Underground city

I travelled to and from Beijing by the Transiberian railway in 1985. This was during the period of the Bamboo Curtain and there were very few Western tourists in Beijiing still referred to as then as Peking. The underground city was then only known to by the locals, many of whom had helped dig and construct it. Had it been now it could easily have been described as on of the wonders of the world as it was so vast and yet to enter it required very special permission and could only be accessed by cleverly hidden and disguised secret doors and staircases. The city could hold up to 5 million people and also connected with the Metro system. It contained large shops (my wife still has a kimono style housecoat from The Underground Store) along with cinemas, hospital, university and housing. I feel very privileged to have seen it at its prime. As someone who greatly respects honesty I was upset that many disbelieved me when I told them of my experience. This included the Emergence Planning Department (formerly known as Civil Defence) of the County Council I worked for at the time. Whoever wrote . Re: Beijing Underground City - "Not any more. In any case it wasn't that interesting" in their Forum entry on 19 Nov 2013, 10:38 needs to be more inquisitive and adventurous. You don't know what you have missed!

Mentioned in this post
San Marino
Level Contributor
499 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing Underground city

I have been there in 1987

Edited: 26 March 2018, 14:14
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing Underground city

Underground City closed around 2008, so anybody who claims to have visited since then is either lying OR lucked into somebody who knew of an accessible point and let them in for an illicit look. IMO, it will never reopen. Submitting a "review" on a travel forum is therefore rather useless, since it will only imply to others that they can replicate a visit. This is the sort of experiential travel that is probably best placed on a personal or collective travel blog.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,094 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing Underground city

Isn't there a time limit on reviews? Only review places you've been to within the past year or something like that?

California
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing Underground city

Why not just create your own site, independent of TA. Can't very well advise people to visit a place they can't visit.

Reply to: Beijing Underground city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted