We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
82 reviews
Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Hi, I’m looking to travel in China end of May using the Visa Exempt option. I would like to travel from Shanghai to Hong Kong to Beijing is possible. From what I understand I can travel in Shanghai for 144 hrs and can travel to Hong Kong as a third party destination for travel. My problem is I’ve been getting a lot of mixed answers as to the amount of time I am allowed to travel in Beijing Bisa exempt and if I can stay after already being in Shanghai. Does anyone know? Do I need to reverse my destinations? I will be traveling with a US Passport.

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,889 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

You have not provided enough information re your entire itinerary to allow people to give you any advice.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

For Beijing and Shanghai you can stay up to 144 hours, provided your arrival and destination are different countries, and no stopovers in mainland China.

They do not add up trips, but each trip is judged independently. So Brussels-Shanghai-HK is 144 hours. HL-Beijing-Brussels is 144 hours. The 144 hrs start at midnight after arrival.

Bruges, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Thank you. That really helped. I have been narrowing down my itinerary to 3 or 4 days in Shanghai and 5 or 6 in both Hong Kong and Beijing. I’ll be flying in from Soeul. I’m looking into Soeul to Shanghai to Hong Kong. Then Hong Kong to Beijing to Prague. If I’m doing the math right I should be ok with theses hours. If you have any further insight I’d love to hear it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
839 reviews
4. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Yes, that works.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,973 posts
5. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Just to add to your confidence +1 to #2 and #4

As further insight be prepared for substantial waiting time at Beijing transit without visa application and don't plan too much for your day of arrival from Hong Kong.

Aurora, Nebraska
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Can you tell me what you mean with your response to this older post? I am doing a very similar itinerary and were hoping to hit the ground running visiting Hong Kong Disneyland the morning we arrive. We also were hoping to quickly depart the airport in Beijing as we only have two days there? Are you saying it is going to take a lot of time to get out of those airports without a Visa???

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,889 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

As US passport holders, you don't need a visa for HK. For Beijing, if you are using the transit without visa process, it may or may not be fast, depending on how many flights are arriving at that time.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Traveling in China Visa Exempted

Also note that Hong Kong-Beijing flights are often delayed, so don't schedule yourself too tightly in Beijing based on an arrival time that may not hold.

Reply to: Traveling in China Visa Exempted
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted