We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time China Itinerary

Level Contributor
20 posts
First time China Itinerary

After lots of deliberation and hardwork i am close to finalising this itinerary. Please let me know your thoughts and respond to the questions i have, thanks.

Hong Kong (3 nights)

11.10.18 - 14.10.18

Transport: Flight departs Manchester at 12:20pm (10.10.18) and Arrives Hong Kong 6:55am (11.10.18).

Accommodation: Airbnb in Soho

Itinerary: 3 days in total. First 2 days sightseeing, eating and exploring city. Day 3 Disneyland.

Is 2 days enough to see the main sites in Hong Kong or should we skip Disneyland? Will also be jet lagged...

Yangshuo (3 nights)

14.10.18 - 17.10.18

Transport: Hong Kong to Guangzhou 1 hour bullet train 10am to 11am (this is due to start running in august). Guangzhou to Yangshuo train departing at 12:22pm and Arrive 2.39pm.

Accommodation: Yangshuo Tea Cozy Hotel (near Yulong River)

Itinerary: 2.5 days in total. Raft both Li river and yulong river, do some cycling and go up Xianggong Mountain.

Longsheng (1 night + 1 overnight sleeper)

17.10.18 - 19.10.18

Transport: Depart Yangshuo around 11am and arrive in Longsheng at approx. 3pm. Will either take public bus or private taxi.

Accommodation: Baike Hotel in Jingpan

Itinerary:1.5 days in total. HIke around the rice fields and visit the local minority villages.

Zhangjiajie (3 nights)

19.10.18 - 22.10.18

Transport: Take taxi/public bus to Guilin train station around 4.30pm to arrive 6.30pm. Take train from Guilin to Lizhou Departing 7:53pm and arrive 9pm. Go to Liujiang train staiton and take the overnight sleeper train departing at 11:36pm and Arriving 10:06am at Zhangjiajie train station.

Accommodation: Yangjiajie Mini Inn (very close to West gate of Zhangjiajie national park)

Itinerary - 3.5days in total. 3 days exploring Yangjiejie, Yunjiajie, Golden Whip Stream, Tianzi Mountain. Morning of 22.10.18 before departing for airport visit Tianmen mountain and go up the cable cars.

I will need to arrive at Zhangjiajie airport for 1pm to depart for Chengdu at 2:55pm. Will the morning before the flight be enough time to visit Tianmen mountain? I assume the Tianmen mountain inst part of the 3 day Zhangjiajie national park ticket?

Chengdu (1 night)

22.10.18 - 23.10.18

Transport: Depart Zhangjiajie by flight at 2:55pm arriving Chengdu 4:20pm.

Accommodation: Xishu Garden Inn (next to peoples park)

Itinerary; 1 day total. First evening have a walk down Jinli street and find some where to experience sichuan food. Next day visit pandas in the morning then have a wonder around peoples park.

Appreciate we are not spending much time in Chengdu, but i preferred to spend more time in Xian/Beijing but promised my girlfriend we would see Pandas. Its a shame as there looks to be some good day trips.

Xian (2nights + 1 overnight sleeper)

23.10.18 - 26.10.18

Transport: Chengdu to Xian (Bullet Train) Depart 5:33pm arrive 9:44pm

Accommodation: Pusu Jade Boutique Hotel (inside the wall, 10min walk Yongningmen)

Itinerary: Relax on night of arrive. Next day visit Terracotta army and muslim quarter in the evening. Final day explore the sights in the city including cycling city walls.

Beijing (3 nights)

26.10.18 - 29.10.18

Transport: Depart Xian on 25.10.18 at 7:21pm on overnight sleeper train and arrive in Beijing 26.10.18 at 6:58am.

Accommodation: The Orchid (30minute walk north on Jingshang Park, in Baochao hutong)

Itinerary: 3.5 days in total. 1 day to either walk the mutianyu or Jinshanling section of the great wall. 2.5 days to explore Forbidden city, temple of heaven, tianamen square, hutongs.

Would be keen to know what peoples thoughts are on either Mutainyu or Jinshanling section of the wall. I know Jinshanling is a whole day trip, do you think i have time to do this and see everything else in Beijing i wish to see? Or would you just stick with Mutianyu?

Summary;

Thanks for reading all of the above detail. Would appreciate any answers or information you can provide to me regarding the questions i have asked in each section.

I know that little time is spent in Chengdu but i really want to see Pandas, but then also want to have enough time in Xian and Beijing to really take in the ancient history.

I have arranged the transport with China DIY though i have not confirmed with them yet. They have suggested these routes and have been very helpful so far. What do you think to the transportation of this trip?

Any comments about the overall itinerary, transport, hotels would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on things not to miss in t or restaurants to eat at the locations i will be visiting would be much appreciated.

All comments welcome.

Thanks

Jonathan

4 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,109 posts
842 reviews
1. Re: First time China Itinerary

Pretty standard plan. It looks fine to me.

Jinshanling is a good choice if you have time.

Tianmen mountain in ZJJ requires another ticket.

Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: First time China Itinerary

Thanks, needed some reassurance that this was an okay and travel arrangements fine.

How long is required to visit Tianmen mountain?

Thanks

Szczecin, Poland
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: First time China Itinerary

Mutianyu is really nice for a few hours and slide down at the end is great, but transportation is a bit cumbersome - do you plan to use public transportation or something else?

Also I'd recommend adding Summer Palace to your itinerary in Beijing, you should have enough time for that and it is great place to just walk around and admire the views. There is also Old Summer Palace if you wish to avoid crowds.

When I was visiting Beijing two years ago, I stayed in hostel located in hutongs, so that I saw them every day and didn't need special tour ;)

Also in the evening, when most tourist attractions are closed anyway, I suggest visiting Olympic avenue - it is very lively place used mostly by the locals, it was the biggest positive surprise for me during the trip - just walk from olympic stadium to olympic park and enjoy :)

Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: First time China Itinerary

Thanks. I think we will spend our final morning/afternoon at summer palace. We catch a flight at 7.30pm so need to be at the airport for 4:30pm. I think summer palace will be a nice end to the trip.

Reply to: First time China Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted