We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Hello,

In the beginning of July me and my two sons (10 and 14) are heading to Thailand. Outbound we are flying from the states and have a 3 hour stopover in Beijing to switch planes. On return we have a 10 hour stop over in Beijing.

I am hoping to do a day tour on that 10 hour stop over. I've been told that we do not need a visa for stop overs in China. But due to us going through China twice and wanting to leave the airport for a short time I want to double check about this to make sure.

So, do we need Visas to go through Beijing in both directions? Anything else I haven't thought of I should know about? Thank you in advance!!!

Mentioned in this post
11 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Assuming you hold US passports and Beijing is your only stop inside China, you don't need a visa. You can transit without visa. However, there has been reports on passengers on short transits (less than 24 hrs) not allowed to exit the airport.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

You don’t Visa to transit, but there is a possibility you may not be allowed to leave airport on 2nd transit.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

So stay a night or two or three and have a better look around - still no visa needed.

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Why is this?

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

The rules for the 24 hour direct transit and the 144 hour Transit Without Visa [TWOV] are different. Plenty of threads about it here, but if you are flying directly into Beijing from Thailand, with no other landings in China, then straight out to another country, then the 144 hour TWOV applies.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

There is no guarantee that they will allow you to leave the airport with a 10 hr stop over. They decide on the spot.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

There have been many reports on TripAdvisor recently by transit pax denied exit during transits under 24 hours. All nationalities, for no apparent reason. Be prepared to spend 10 hours in airport.

Or extend your stay to 24-144 hours.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

From Douglas Adams:

It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport." Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only exception of this otherwise infallible rule), and architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs.

Maybe Beijing is different?

Mentioned in this post
Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Ha! Got it, thank you everybody!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question

Beijing airport is designed by the famous British architect Zaha Hadid (who has passed away). From the air it supposedly look like a female private part.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Stop over in Beijing, Visa question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted