We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking about skipping the Yantzge river cruise?

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Topic
thinking about skipping the Yantzge river cruise?

i have heard such mixed comments about the yantzge river cruise[ we are going in october] that we are thinking about skipping it---any opinions about it? Has anyone been to the Magao caves in Dunhuang--is it worth the trip?

thanks,

babo

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking about skipping the Yantzge river cruise?

Personally I think the Mogao Grottoes are awesome and definitely worth seeing. But would your kids think the same as us? I recall that you said they're 3, 6 and 8 -- they might be a little too young to appreciate peering at mural after mural in dimly lit, cubical-feeling caves. I'm not underestimating them, but there was a young Chinese kid in our group (ie different sightseers lumped together under the same guide at the grottoes) whom I think couldn't comprehend the history and all of the grottoes and he was basically just making noise (I imagine he was bored!) and annoying the rest of the group. His parents had a real job on their hands to subdue him to any extent, I don't think they could really enjoy or even see what they came to see, under those circumstances. You might want to take that into consideration.

2. Re: thinking about skipping the Yantzge river cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 04:17