We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

I'm going to tour Beijing on my own for a few days, and then I'll head to Xian before meeting up with my friend in Shanghai.

I want to pick up tour guides in both cities. Is it possible to just arrange a guide through the concierge when I arrive? How much is reasonable to expect to pay for a one day guide, excluding transportation, admission and meals (or are they usually included in the price?)

BJ
Level Contributor
430 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

you will find concierge quote is much higher than what you find on internet if you are stay at 4/5star hotel.

Queensland
Level Contributor
662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

If I were you I would book a guide quickly as I tried to book a popular guide for Sept this year and she was already booked. try these

Beijing- Qing email chineseqing_2008@hotmail.com

Sophia email quding1716@yahoo.com.cn

Alvin email alvinbenton@hotmai.com

Natalie email natalie.jj@hotmail.com

Xian - johnqingg2004@yahoo.com.cn

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

Is it possible to book a guide for a half day? We will be with a tour group and would like to break away to do some shopping and visit some places they are not visiting.

Thank You

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

I don't see any major problem with getting a guide for half a day as opposed to a full day.

New York
Level Contributor
204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

We used Violet, who is very flexible and who is truly a delightful person. We are still emailing each other several months after my trip was completed.

You can read the details of our time in Beijing in "Detailed Beijing Trip Report." When we were there in April, she charged 300 Yuan a day and provided wonderful service. In addition to guiding us around the tourist sites, she took cabs with us or used the subway if we requested (in addition to using Kong Lin's car for the Great Wall trip, which was wonderful!) She also booked dinner reservations, helped us with shopping and generally did whatever we needed.

Violet can be reached at lnghulyn@hotmail.com.

I hope you have a wonderful visit. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Linda

6. Re: What's Reasonable Cost for Local Guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:20