We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Topic
China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Hello,

I am in desperate need of this answer, as I am scheduled to go through Beijing this Saturday. I have less than a 24 hour stop over in Beijing and planned to stay in an airport hotel. Do I really need a Visa for this? I have to get a rushed one in a matter of hours, as I am running out of time. Please, help!!! I am holding a US passport.

Thank you.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Your airlines can answer this question, because they won't even let you board the flight if you don't have the proper "papers".

Canada
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Canadians need a transit visa for 24 hrs in Beijing in transit. Go to a chinese embassy website in Japan for your regulations.

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Thanks for the replies. It is a little more detailed and complicated. I am flying with frequent flier miles through United, but on Air China. United in Japan does not know, they claim they only know regulations for Japanese citizens. Air China wouldn't answer they referred me to the consulate. Whom I did call and got a mixed, run around message. I finally called Air China in the US and they transferred me to United in the US. The woman read that as I have an onward ticket within 24 hours I do not need a Visa and she stated that I could leave the airport. But as much as I search I can not verify this and I am worried that I can't leave the airport. Deciding whether I should cancel my hotel reservation and get on a later flight to camp at the airport. See, not so easy. Any more help would be welcomed!!!

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Finally got my answer, if you have an on ward ticket within 24 hours, you are permitted to leave the airport with no Visa!!! Finally, Chinese Consulate in Osaka, Japan told me otherwise, $180.00 is a lot of revenue, if they can collect it on an unknowing traveller! Thanks all!!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,117 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

The no-visa required rule has been there for a while, but few people wanted to risk it.

San Francisco...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

Dear Bibimbob-

Thank you for your input, what do you mean by "risk it"? Both United and Air China stated that because I have an onward ticket departing within the 24 hours of my arrival and am flying Internationally, that you do not need a Visa for a period less than 24 hours.

Would the authorities actually challenge this rule with an onward ticket? Have you heard of problems others have had with this?

Thank you!

7. Re: China Visa for less than 24 hr stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 02:15