We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet Paper

Chevy Chase, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Toilet Paper

We are two women travelling in China for two weeks, staying in moderate hotels. We will be sticking to major cities. Given the nature of public restrooms in China, and potential quality/quantity issues in the hotels, I’d be interested in having anyone with experience weigh in with ideas about how much toilet paper we should bring. Thank you.

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet Paper

Why not start with changing your name from whystayhome to Istayhome?

I have the strong feeling this is some kind of a joke, if not, go the the local supermarket in what ever major city you stay, I am sure they sell your favorite brand

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet Paper

Why should she change her name???

As mentioned, you can buy toilet paper over there if you want. Some public restrooms don't have toilet paper, or if they do, they charge for it.

Chevy Chase, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet Paper

This is not a joke. I have been travelling internationally for 56 years and am not the sort to complain about local practices. However, I do like to be prepared and was hoping to select the BYOTP option as the trip is fast-paced and I didn't want to have to fool around with scouring the markets for basic supplies.

By the way, if you do a toilet paper search on tripadvisor, you will find many posts complaining about hotels that ran out, had crummy quality, charged $1/roll, etc.

Thank you for your insight.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet Paper

Hi,

There are heaps of convenience stores in China to buy toilet paper. You will find you don't need to buy any.

I usually buy a few small individual packs of small tissues and a small pack of hand wipes when I get there. I do take a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer from home tho.

You will find most hotels, except some lower backpacker style, will supply toilet paper and replenish it.

As too public toilets they vary widely. I usually try and use ones in Hotels: If you happen app-on a western hotel when walking past use the one in the lobby ( you don't need to be a guest and they never stop you). Major plush shopping centers have them. McDonalds & KFC are clean.

You may not find a western style toilet when you travel around as Squat toilets in China are the norm. Some have attendants present and are kept very clean but you do have to pay a tiny amount to use them. Others are not so clean and you need to roll your pants up. You may also, if visiting country areas come across stalls with out doors.

If you are sticking to major cities it wont be a problem.

Annie

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilet Paper

Should just add, where ever you are staying there will be a small corner store nearby.

Stores set up around hotels so within a two minute walk you will find somewhere to buy various things.

Doesn't mater where are star rating of the hotel there will be a shop. Same goes for restaurants.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,291 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilet Paper

don't worry too much. Bring a couple of packs of tissue paper. Any ways if you go to restrooms in high en hotels, nice shopping malls and MacDonalds or KFC then you are fine. As said above, you are not in the jungle but in a big modern city so you have nothing to worry about.

Zurich
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilet Paper

Hi,

I came back from China 2 weeks ago. We brought some packages of wet-toilet-paper (I don't know the right word in english, sorry),here in Zurich you can find several different labels. I bought packages that could fit my hand-bag easily, so I always had them with me. They make you feel much cleaner, especially if you have to run around 8 hours per day in hot and humid weather. They are also very useful to wash your hands in certain situations.

As a woman I understand your worries and I think being prepared is a very good tactic :-)

Have a great time in China!

Kay

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilet Paper

We took three unfinished rolls of toilet paper with enough left on a roll to fit in my wife's bag, and yes it was used regularly.

Quite often we found toilets in public places did not have paper. It is definitely better to go prepared for the worst than find it when you get there.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilet Paper

Wet wipes area good idea. You can also buy alcohol gel for cleaning your hands.

In some places, especially in cheaper hotels,the plumbing cannot cope with tissue. If you see a basket next to the toilet, that is for tissue; if you put tissue in the toilet, you might end up with a blocked and flooding toilet.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilet Paper

I would say taking loo roll and hand gel are vital items when travelling in China - the toilets are to be frank the worst I have seen (and I travelled in east africa for 3 months!).

Mac Donalds was the easiest place to use as well as other chains. Its not always easy using hotel toilets!