We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wireless internet provider china

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
wireless internet provider china

I would like to know a reliable internet provider in China and whether coverage in China is available in major centers and tourist spots. We are travelling through Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Wuhan, Yichang, Chongqing, Guilin, Kunming and Lijiang are would like to maintain wireless connection while travelling.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,442 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wireless internet provider china

On what kind of device?

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wireless internet provider china

Thanks for your reply, we have a laptop and iphone and would be pleased to use either or both.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,442 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wireless internet provider china

It depends whether you wish to be connected all the time or sometimes.

All hotels will provide you internet free or for a fee. There are numerous wireless spots everywhere the most famous one being Starbucks but also most restaurants and coffee shops or even bars. This may be sufficient to pick up your emails and check a few things on the web. Whenever wi-fi is available where you are your I-Phone will tell you (I guess you already know that).

if you want internet all the time on your phone then you should get a SIM card with 3G. China Telecom is the largest wireless company with the best coverage. China Unicom is number 2 and the official partner of Apple for the I-Phone. They coverage is adequate. This is the one I have. The 3G data package that I have is 98rmb per month. Pretty cheap. You need to buy it at a China Unicom outlet and specify you want a 3G package. Bring your passport and pray that someone speaks english there.

You can download some interesting apps which work offline such as the subway maps and a chinese-english dictionary such as qingwen.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wireless internet provider china

Thanks so much for the information, it's just what I wanted to know.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wireless internet provider china

I use the China Telecom 3G sim card in USB stick and so far has worked everywhere, even in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you get 3G including roaming otherwise you will only be able to use it in the city you purchased it.

They go for a set amount of hours. For example 100 hours local and 20 hours roaming/month.

6. Re: wireless internet provider china

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 06:19