We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flood & Shopping

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Flood & Shopping

We will be visiting the following areas the first three weeks of August: Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, HongKong, Li River,Guilin, Suzhou, Tongli and Shanghai. Will we have a problem with the flood in any of these areas?

Also, where is the best place to buy a watch - either a knock-off or the real thing?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flood & Shopping

Sorry I can't predict the weather 3 weeks ahead. August is the typhoon season in Hong Kong so you could get heavy rain, which causes surface flooding for an hour or two.

Hong Kong is a good place to buy expensive watches - don't know if the fakes are any good though.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flood & Shopping

fakes watches - depends how much you pay for the quality received.

you can get very good ones around the 250 - 300hkd mark. generally these are not on display. you need to ask. also traders will accept rmb and have actually asked me for it. do not buy from the touts on nathan road is my very strong advice to you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flood & Shopping

i had mistakenly assumed you are buying in hk. however, the major centres you are going to are all also ok, but again quality is the key. if you are not careful you will perceive to get a bargain but will have been ripped severely.

4. Re: Flood & Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:18