We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese Honeymoon

Solihull
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Chinese Honeymoon

Hi Guys,

After some advice if possible!

I'm getting married in late April 2012, and have put myself in charge of the honeymoon (as i'm not getting a say on anything else!). I am looking at going for 2 weeks and would like a twin or tri center.

My fiance really wants a hot beach to do nothing on for as long as possible, I don't mind this and do enjoy the whole beach thing, but I really enjoy exploring cities.

China has always been on my list of things to do and this seems to be the perfect opportunity with Thailand within a reasonable distance for the beaches.

The only problem is I really don't know where to stay\visit in China, I have been told not to miss Hong Kong as it really is amazing, but I really like the idea of going to Beijing and Shanghai? I would really like to see Beijing as it seems the most cultural destination, but Shanghai also seems like a great city!

Confused basically :( I really want to see the great wall and the night markets? I need help! :)

Cheers,

RT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Regulartourist86. This is difficult! But be thankful at least you get to do the honeymoon! I have not gone to china but have always wanted to and am planning right now for next year. If you want culture and history, Xian and Beijing are it. (Got most of my info from TA). Beauty- guilin. And a modern city?- Shanghai.

What to see depends on you. For me, Great Wall, Forbidden City/TiananMen square/ the Teracotta Warriors, and to try peking duck!. I have been to hongkong several times. Since I live in NY, I will describe it as just like Times Square Manhattan except filled with chinese. If time is a premium, then visit beijing, xian, then hit the thai beaches so the missus will not remove your last say on anything! Enjoy! By the way, do a private tour with a private guide. You will be better off since its also your honeymoon!

congratulations on your wedding. remember- marriage is just a lifelong romance.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

One small change. Guilin, although quite nice in parts, is also a typical chinese city. I think bigww means to use it as a transit point on the way to yangshuo.

If you are in guilin i do suggest you try the bamboo rat/pig thing. You can even pick the one you eat. Better still, Wait 'til you see how it goes to meet its maker...

Solihull
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Thanks for your help!

Are these places easy to get to from Beijing? I'm thinking of staying there for 3 nights and then 3 nights in Hong Kong before flying down to Thailand!

Cheers,

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Check domestic flights on ctrip.com or travelzen.com

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Look for an open jaw flight.

Fly into Beijing (3-4 nights) from your home country. Then fly to Hong Kong (3 nights ok). Then Hong Kong to Thailand (perhaps direct to Koh Samui). Then to Bangkok and back home.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Sounds good drumbrake. That island is pretty good according to others i know who have honeymooned there. I think you've found your true calling drumbrake.

Me, i prefer bangkok and pattaya. Though unless you are looking for an immediate divorce i'd stay well away from walking street in p.

Solihull
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Thanks again guys.

So if I were to stay in Beijing and Hong Kong for the 1st week, would I be missing anything if I didn't do Shanghai?

How does it compare to Hong Kong and Beijing?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

How many days do you have? If just one week for China, then Hong Kong and Beijing is enough. if you have longer, then there are other places you can visit - Shanghai is a modern city without that many attractions to be honest. Beijing is the major draw; where else you go depends on your interests - history or countryside.

Solihull
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

looking for 2 weeks in total, ideally the 1st in China and the 2nd in Thailand.

I think I will go with Beijing and Hong Kong. I guess I get the best of both then? I really want to see the historic side in Beijing and the main sights and then the modern sights of Hong Kong.

Is the night market in Beijing? Where they sell the wired and wonderful insects etc on sticks?Has anyone been? This something I really would like to see!

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese Honeymoon

Beijing offers some good history, though it is really less romantic that I would normally think of for a honeymoon, but of course that depends on what you like.

If you go to Beijing, I would encourage going to some of the more romantic restaurants and activities--lunch at the Schoolhouse near Mutianyu Great Wall, perhaps the Courtyard Restaurant and Green Tea House for means, a boatride in the evening at Houhai with a lute player. Perhaps arrange with a portrait shop to have wedding pictures taken by professionals in traditional Chinese clothes.

I almost think Shanghai would be better. Not for the history, but to stroll along the bund, dine in restaurants in tallest buildings, explore the shops of the old French Quarter and overnight in one of the water towns.