We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

Is it possible and safe for a single female traveller to go jogging in both Beijing and Shanghai?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

yes its possible - safe? inhale those fumes and see how your lungs are after a couple of weeks...

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

It's bad enough just walking around in that polluted air. Go jogging is like smoking a pack of cig.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

Too hot and humid unless you hit the paths at sunrise or so. 5:14 a.m.(Shanghai) less pollution then too.

As others have indicated, person safety is not the issue. Pollution, heat and fatigue are.

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

We saw lots of joggers in both cities. In a country like China, safety is not your concern (unless you post something political on Facebook ... LOL). It is very safe in the main areas of the big cities. Ditto pollution concern. It was much worse than we were even told. You should probably consider the gym in your hotel instead.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,702 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

I can speak for Beijing only, People jog all the time although not so many Chinese. I would worry less about the pollution than I would about the traffic. The best place to job would be in one of the several big parks.

The pollution is only a factor on some days. One day out of two has nice blue skies. If you want a more precise measure, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing has its own measurements and they publish the results on Twitter every 15 minutes.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

Just had a relatively lovely run in the Xuhui neighborhood in Shanghai. The streets were a bit crowded, but there were pedestrian overpasses for crossing and the Xujiahui Park was small, but very nice, and fine for running pollution- and traffic-free loops until I got my running fix.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

In Shanghai you might want to check out Century Park (Metro Line 2) in Pudong. It's a bit away from downtown and gives you at least the feeling that the air is fresher than in Puxi (West side of the river). Also it's really huge and not as crowded as the parks downtown.

8. Re: Jogging in Beijing and Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:40