We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

New York
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

“ most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China? ”

Sep 07, 2011, 10:48 PM

I will have 7 days in China and would very much appreciate your advice on an itinerary that is not comprehensive, but would give me an opportunity to see some stunning sights and capture a bit of the history and allow to observe life, but without repetition. This will be my first trip to Asia.

I'm thinking Beijing (including the Great Wall), Jiexiu, and Yangshuo/Guilin. (Basing this on some pictures I've seen, but I could very well be missing some other very beautiful places.) I am probably going to avoid Shanghai -- less interested in the skyscraper big city life.

1. Does this seem doable and how would I travel in between sights?

2. Is there a short loop around Beijing with perhaps less well-known but also beautiful attractions that would make more sense for a 7 day trip?

Thank you very much! I realize it's an incredibly short stay for China, but hope your advice will help me shape the trip.

upstate N.Y
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

Definitely go to the Great Wall. I went to BadaLing (sp). Hope you have a good pair of legs. The Forbidden City is not to be miss either. The Emperor's Tomb is also worth exploring. Instead of Shanghai head to Suzhou, it is about 1 1/4 hours to the West of Shanghai. It is known as the Venice of the Orient. See Tiger Hill, Humble Administrators Garden, and Pingjiang Road. Tongli Water town is also well worth the trip. The four places in Suzhou you could accomplish in two full days. In Beijing it would be a day each place. Enjoy the trip. I am currently in Suzhou for the second time. It is a wonderful country with great people. Only drink bottled water.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

Personally, I'd just stay in Beijing if that's all the time you have but you could do a quick side-trip to either Xi'an or Pingyao or Datong from Beijing. These places can be reached by various means but do require some time. Datong is an hour's flight or half-day by train, Xi'an up to 2 hours plus transfer times or overnight train, Pingyao an hour plus at least another hour by bus or half-day by train and bus. If you can fly into Beijing and out of Shanghai, or vice versa, then visiting the water towns mentioned above is certainly possible. This can be done by train. However, it's not really worth going down to Yangshuo (3 hour flight from Beijing plus at least an hour's transfer) for less than 3 days which would be too much of a rush, I feel.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

Beijing

Guilin/Yangshuo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,655 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

If you have 7 days you really don't have time for spreading out your distances. You have to make choices.

If buy Jiexiu you mean Mian Shan in Shanxi you really wont have time. You could go there but it is really going to eat into your 7 days, lots of wasted time getting to & from. Really not do-able.

Beijing and add in Pingyao is a good choice. With a 7 day itinerary most people would see Beijing & Xi'an but Pingyao is a wonderful option. Bit more tricky to get to but worth it.

Or you could see Shanghai and Yangshuo. Once again you loose time travelling between the 2. Not really enough time unless you really squeeze.

Or you could spend 7 days in the Shanghai region: ie: Shanghai, Suzhou, Tongli, Hangzhou.

And when you say 7 days - do you mean 7 whole days for seeing sights or are you arriving & departing within those 7 days ? Really makes a difference as to what is doable :-)

New York
Level Contributor
81 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

I am hoping for 7 full days. I'd like to see Beijing and an area with unusual (to my Western eyes) nature+site.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

YOu will not regreat the river cruise on Li River in Yangshuo!!!

7. Re: Most stunning and doable sights in 7 days in China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 13:16