We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

We will be visiting China next June. We have never been, and we want to see all the best of China, including the best of natural sights. We really want to avoid traditional tour groups. What is is the best itinerary with our 11 and 13 year olds, and how do we organize ourselves? We do want some kind of guide. Is it best to fly into Beijing and out of Shanghai, or vice versa? Any tips welcome!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,687 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

In one city and out the other saves time and money as you do not need to backtrack.

To help you with a rough itinerary we need to know how long you will be there.

It is easy to book the hotels yourself using the hotel website or some online travel agent such as www.wotif.com.

For internal flights look at ctrip.com or travelzen.com. Do not book flights too far in advance.

In the big cities it is easy ot move around using the subway. In Beijing the subway will take you to all the attractions other than the Great Wall.

Guides are not a must but can enhance your experience. You ma not need a guide every day. You can find referrals here or go to www.synotrip.com. Typically the cost would be 300-400RMB per day.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,687 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

I would also recommend that you read the Top Questions on the right of this page of the China forum. You can find similar FAQs in the forum of the various cities.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 15:37
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

We have up to three weeks. I would love some specific suggestions for an itinerary. I am still trying to become more knowledgeable about what there is to see, so anything specific helps. Thanks.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

My blog on my trip last summer w/ 2 kids ages 7 and 10 is at: …travelpod.com/travel-blog/izbit/1/tpod.html

With 2 weeks, we went to Hong Kong, Yangshuo, Xi'an, Louyang, and Beijing. I was pretty happy with our distribution of time. Only think I might do differently if I were doing it over is take a day out of Yangshuo to do the rice paddies. With an extra week, I'd definitely add Chengdu for the pandas, and maybe Shanghai.

Edited: 13 November 2011, 00:11
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

For some amazing natural scenery, you can check out Zhangjiajie and Tianmenshan Mountain. Three days between to 2 should cover most of it. The views are almost surreal!

You can also visit Yangshuo, with lots to do and see. I would recommend a minimum of 3+ days here. From there you can visit the Dragon Backbone rice terraces and spent a night or two here , trek/hike through the terraces is beautiful! We stayed in the village of Tiantouzhai, which is part way up the mountain and loved it!

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in China and visited Beijing, Pingyao, Zhangjiajie and Tianmenshan, the village of Ma'an ( home of the Chengyang Bridge), the rice terraces, Yangshuo and Shanghai and had a brilliant time!

We didn't get a chance to visit Chengdu, but as Elizabeth mentioned, it would be a great place to visit the pandas.

We booked guides at a couple of the destinations, and at the rest we just did it on our own. We did book transportation between all the places beforehand though even taking private vehicle between some destinations as the prices were so reasonable and it just made things so much easier.

If you'd like to see some of our pics, we have plenty up here:

https:/…

AND here: ( with Yangshuo and shanghai)

https:/…

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

Thank you, I iwll check out your photos and all your destinations!

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

Thanks for your advice, I iwll check it out!

8. Re: Best way to see China, 2 kids, 11 and 13, never been before.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 10:19