We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Hello.

I'm planning my vacation in China in mid April/beginning of May this year and currently I need to find a way to travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong.

I plan to stay in Yangzhou, but possibly use Guilin airport to fly south (I'm staying in Hong Kong afterwards).

First question:

I noticed that China Southern Airlines flies from Guilin to Shenzhen, but I'm a bit lost in which site could I buy an electronic ticket from. I'm a bit concerned with the reliability of the booking.

Is CZ website OK? (I noticed there is a huge price difference for the exact same flight between http://www.flychinasouthern.com and http://www.csair.com/en/, which seems strange to me). The english translation is a bit ackward, but maybe that's normal...

Being an EU citizen, will I have any issue or should I be concerned with something?

Do you advise me differently in terms of travelling means from Guilin or Yangzhou to Shenzhen or Hong Kong, besides flying?

Second question:

What would be the best way to go from Shenzhen (after passing customs) to Hong Kong city center (HK side)?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,297 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

First note that it is called Yangshuo not Yangzhou. There is a place actually called Yangzhou so be careful.

To buy tickets you can use ctrip.com; elong.net or travelzen.com. All three are very credible. I find that ctrip has the best site to get information but I buy on travelzen.com because they do not have an extra charge for foreign credit cards.

Your options are to fly to HK directly, fly to Giuangzhou and take the train at the Guangzhou east station or fly to Shenzhen then head to HK which right next to it.

There are also buses to Guangzhou or Shenzhen but it is long so not so convenient.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

When you arrive in Shenzhen airport there will be people offering bus service to Hong Kong. Tell them which area of Hong Kong you need to go to. You then get on the bus that takes you to the border, after clearing customs which is very crowded you reboard the bus for Hong Kong.

The flight from Guilin to Shenzhen is only 1 hour. I had just finished the provided breakfast when they announced we were already descending into Shenzhen.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Hello again.

Besides the buses, what are options are there, to go from Shenzhen to Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Hello once more.

I took a look at the Shenzhen metro+HK MTR option and it would be an hassle, as our hotel is near Tin Hau MTR station (it would imply changing 2 or 3 times the metro line).

I've also read that you can take TurboJet from Shenzhen airport (shuttle bus to the pier) to Hong Kong airport... and then from there to the city.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,297 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Your second solution is even more trouble.

As I recall, they will only let you on that ferry if you have a plane ticket. There are other ferries though.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Shenzhen is no more cheap as a cheap stepping stone to HK. Air price is almost the same as to HK.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

CZ( China Southern Airlines) is top one air company in Guangxi-Guangdong region. Fly within China, you'd better use China based website like ctrip.com and naturly, www.csair.com, home page of CZ it self.

Edited: 26 March 2012, 03:58
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,297 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

OrientalRed - take a look at ctrip. Flying to HK is nearly 2 times the cost of flying into Shenzhen (from Guilin).

9. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 March 2012, 07:08
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,297 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Guilin/Yangzhou to Shenzhen/Hong Kong

Plus taxes that are higher for HK. Price difference is about 50%. But more trouble to fly in Shenzhen if going to HK.