We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rice paddies

Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
rice paddies

From what major tourist town should I go to see the rice paddies in September? I have read that PingAn and Dazhai are well known villages. Where are they in the country? My map has not arrived yet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,760 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rice paddies

To grow, rice requires a somewhat warmer and wet climate. Therefore it is grown mostly in the south of China. The closest rice paddies that you could see would in Yangshuo where many tourists go in any case for the scenery. You are likely to see rice fields within walking distance of your hotel or within a five-minute bicycle ride. But otherwise, rice is grown all over the place.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rice paddies

The touristy Pingan and Dazhai rice terraces is located at longsheng county, about 2.5hour drive from Guilin city. Your september visit should be rewarded the goldening ladder-like rice terraces scenery.

Ping An with its relative easy acess, is popular and more touristy spot to sorb beautiful terrace rice view. The village of Dazhai is speculiar in rice terrace view and less touristy for its remote location.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rice paddies

By then there will be buses go to Pingan and Dazhai as well from Guilin Train Station, it's 2.5-3 hrs ride. Dazhai and Pingan are located in Longsheng county northwest to Guilin city.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rice paddies

Hi there I was at the terraced rice fields near Pingan in early october and it poured with rain almost the whole day. It actually didnt take anything much away from the day and all the mist had an ethereal feel to it. Thankfully we did get a couple of views. There a rea a couple of gust houses in the region and they looked charming. I did the trip as a day tour from Guilin which also included a trip to the village with the longest hair. This was a great experience and worth doingl There are plenty of day trips from guilin to see these rice terraces and I would definitely say they are worth the effor

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

5. Re: rice paddies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:24