We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lonely Planet App

British Columbia
Level Contributor
227 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Lonely Planet App

Lonely Planet has an app titled Chinese Offline Translator for translating English to Chinese and vice versa with no Internet connection required. Has anyone used this app in China and if so is it with buying?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lonely Planet App

There are many free apps also doing english-chinese translation but do you know what you would use it for. I don't think you can do Chinese to english translation unless you know how to type Chinese. There may be some rare occasion when you use it to ask something in Chinese but then you need to be able to understand the answer that the Chinese person will give you. My point is, it will be of very marginal use, so a free translator might do the job.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
227 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lonely Planet App

Thks JP

I was thinking that the Cinese person I was communicating with could itype on my I pad the answers to my question which would translate to English

So I would use it more for written communications

Just a thought but will check out the free apps

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lonely Planet App

While it sounds nice, in practice you are rather unlikely to use it which is why you may as well take a free app. If stuck, sign language goes a long way. Unlike, say, french-english dictionaries, one for Chinese is also not very reliable. For example you often cannot translate the na e of a place or the name of a hotel. Have the name of hotels written and printed ahead of time.

4. Re: Lonely Planet App

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:15