We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

M K
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

I am currently in Chengdu and am willing to see Emei Shan or Jiuzhaigou, but not both. I also don't want to spend more than 2 days in either place.

I do not know much about Chinese history and have already seen a few temples from my visits to Japan and China. So will Emei Shan not be very exciting because of that? However, I am interested in seeing the giant Buddha statue in Leshan

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

It is a bit hard to say--if you are tired of temples, then Emei is probably not going to be so interesting, though it is still scenic. Emei is more than just more temples, though--it is also a sacred Buddhist mountain, and a focus of pilgrimage, so it should not just be a repeat of what you have seen elsewhere.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

Jiuzhaigou is the most stunningly beautiful place I have visited in China. It is however expensive to get to and time consuming. A minimum trip will be 2 nights & about 2.5 days.

Emei Shan is also worht at least 2 days but is only 2 hours from Chengdu so much less time is wasted in travel.

I visited Leshan recently and was decidedly underwhelmed, largely because of the crowds.

M K
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

I don't want to spend 2.5 days in Jiuzhaigou, so I won't go there. And yeah, I'm already tired of temples so I'm not excited about Emei Shan either. If I go see the Giant Buddha on Monday or Tuesday, it won't be too crowded, right? I think I will just see the Giant Buddha

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

To see Leshan instead of Jiuzhaigou is like a nonresident going to see Walnut Creek instead of Marin County. Emeishan is nice, but not a wonder of the natural world like Jiuzhaigou/Huanglong National Parks.

Of course you do not need to spend 2 1/2 days at Jiuzhaigou, but then you are passing up one of the most beautiful places on earth in a park laid out perfectly for tourists to see everything without overrunning the environment and spoiling the park. The wooden plant paths are all downhill, once you take the shuttle buses up to the two tops. At every turn on the paths is another awesome sight.

You can go to Colma, CA, (live pop of 1792, buried dead of 1.8 M) or you can go to San Francisco, CA. Your choice. Sorry I seem a bit over the top. There simply is no comparison unless you are a Buddhist and have religious reasons to go to Emeishan.

5. Re: Éméi Shān vs Jiuzhaigou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:16