We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai

I am thinking of touring China next May (mid) and considering giving Shanghai a miss.

What do you think?

I am not into big cities full of high rises.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai

I agree with you.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai

Hi there red is right in some ways, and I also considered giving it a miss, but in the end it is one of Chinas most influential cities and its financial capital. I ended up with it on my itinerary and although I cant say almost a year later whether I really liked it, it had a very unique and pulsating atmosphere which was rather special. Its also impressive to look at with its high rise skyline. There is also the famous Bund which is a big part of shanghais history. If you want to discover more about shanghais history then a visit to the Shanghai history museum is a must. It was one of the best museums i have ever been too and it will give you so much more insight into what makes the city tick. You could combine it with a ticket to the top of the oriental pearl tower which is one of the tallest in the world and where you will get great views of the city. There are also some great attractions nearby like Suzhou famous for its gardens and Zhouzhuang which is one of the oldest water towns. A sort of chinese venice. Its a very influential city in China and I personally think that if you have 2-3 days and its on your way you should definitely visit it. I was glad I did even though I am still struggling with whether I really liked it or not.

I say go for it.

angie

www.angietravels.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai

It's not only Shanghai but the places that are near that are worth the visit like a water town, Suzhou or Hangzhou, however it does depend on how long you have to visit China sometimes you have to leave places out because of the time factor.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai

Shanghai ,one of China typical cities, a cosmopolitan city, if you would like to experience China in depth, don't miss Shanghai.

quiet ,beautiful - Guilin , never missing.

http://www.gointochina.com

5. Re: Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:15