We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 days in China.. what would you do?

Jersey, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
30 days in China.. what would you do?

I am arriving in Beijing on the Transiberian express in October and plan to leave China via a ferry to Japan from Shanghai, and intend to travel from Beijing to Shanghai by train. Any recommendations as to where I should stop off between the two? At the moment my thoughts are Xi'an, Chengdu and have considered Guilin. Any recommendations for tours, accommodation (low budget) or other locations would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Loulou

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 days in China.. what would you do?

Wow, a whole month? I wish I had had an extra two weeks in China. I can't give you any advice about budget accomodations, but I know that in the Yangshuo region (near Guilin, which I think is where you want to be) it should be easy to find cheap accomodation. I would not miss this part of China, it's so different from the other places you mentioned. If you are a backpacker, you would probably enjoy staying in this area for up to a week. Our dream plan would have been to fly from Guilin over towards Dali and Lijiang in Yunnan. I think Dali is another backpacker friendly area. That puts you much closer to Tibet if you are thinking of going there. From Yunnan it isn't too far to get to Chengdu, then Xi'an is close to that. You have so much time that taking trains is probably the affordable way for you to get to all these places. Have a great trip!

2. Re: 30 days in China.. what would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:16