We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning Mandarin

uk
6 posts
Save Topic
Learning Mandarin

Hi there,

Basically I am looking to go to China to learn mandarin but as I will be stationed there for a while, I'd like the area to be fairly friendly, rural or a small town where I can get to know the local people. I would also like to have the option to visit nearby places, even a city just to inject some city life into the equation occasionally.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Cheers

T

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Learning Mandarin

Welcome to the China forum!

Less schools in rural areas and small towns, I am afraid. Or wil you go to learn it on your own? You should to make sure that Mandarin is spoken is the are you are going.... Better to go in a city where the speak a pure Mandarin.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Learning Mandarin

Have you been to China before? As the above poster mentions all the best schools will be city based. You can still integrate with the local community in a city - just make sure you don't live in any of the expat areas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Learning Mandarin

How about somewhere like Yangshuo, not a small town but definately not a city either. You could get Mandarin lessons there and rural villages arnt too far away. You also close enough to Guangzhou to visit there occasionally if you chose..

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Learning Mandarin

I don't think you will find any language schools (to learn mandarin) in rural areas including Yangshuo. Actually, they probably speak rather poor mandarin there.

How long do you have? It cannot be learned quickly. There will be a good number of decent schools in cities like Beijing and Shanghai although you need to make a good investigation first.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Learning Mandarin

Good advice from others as to location. Before you go, read the book Dreaming in Chinese by Deborah Fallows.

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Learning Mandarin

I wont learn it on my own thats for sure, find it a diffucult langauage as it is :-)

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Learning Mandarin

I wont learn it on my own thats for sure, find it a diffucult langauage as it is :-)

8. Re: Learning Mandarin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:16