We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Ponta Grossa, PR
Level Contributor
41 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

What's the best currency to take to China(just Beijing,Xian,Shenzhen and Shangai)?Euros or American Dollars?Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Only RMB is accepted in China. If you want to exchange, just bring what you have. Better to use ATMs for local currency. Read "money issues" on the right of this page.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

You can probably get RMB at your bank before you go, or just wait until you get to the airport and use the ATM. I don't know if you pay a higher rate at the airport ATM as opposed to in town, but if you just want to have a bit of spendable cash for the first few hours, it is probably worth it.

If you take cash to exchange in China be aware that you want to have bills that are not folded, torn, worn etc.. Best bet is to go to your bank and ask them to get you some brand new bills. Most banks do not have new bills on hand except in special circumstances, so order a few weeks in advance. We did not and ended up going from bank to bank in the financial district in San Francisco to find the best bills that we could. Every time we exchanged cash in our hotels, they would carefully look at every bill to be sure they were nice and fresh and sometimes hold them up to the light to check for counterfeits.

John

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

That sounds like a lot of trouble. Easier to hit the nearest ATM.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

It is a lot of trouble. ATM is definitely the way to go, but some people are wary of ATMs when traveling--even though problems are very rare.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

It is interesting that I travel a lot, all over the world and always use my debit and credit cards everywhere, even in obscure places and less developped countries. Only once did I have a problem with my credit card being cloned. That was two months ago in California. A month later some charges started to show up for purchases in San Francisco. The bank cancelled everything so there was no cost to me.

6. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17