We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card question HK and mainland

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Sim Card question HK and mainland

Hi.

I have a couple of sim card related questions. please forgive me if they are a little basic as I have never bought a sim card in a foreign country before. I have an unlocked Android phone.

I am travelling around China for 2 weeks inc HK and Mainland.

Most use will be data but will have a few international calls to Canada and some in country calls.

1. Can I buy a card that will give me voice and data for HK and Mainland without full roaming fees (ie spending a lot of money on cards)?

I arrive HK, so I will likely be buying card there, unless I should get HK card and a different card for mainland.

2. Can someone give an idea of what you get for how much?

'

3. Any specific carriers i should focus on or avoid?

I tried searching Sim Cards in the forum but did not find them very helpful for my questions.

Thank you!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

perhaps post on howardforums where Canadian-based users discuss mobile phone service and people there travel to China/HK all the time?

1. no. roaming always costs a lot, 10x local rates for instance, though local rate can be 0.05HKD per minute

2. go to respective provider websites(3, CSL, Smartone ,China Mobile) and compare. Local rates 0.05 - 1.00HKD per minute. LD to Canada 0.00 - 2.00 per minute. Unlimited local data - 38(slow) - 78HKD/week

3. too broad a question. Every network, or even different cards from the same network have pros and cons and very different tariffs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

Thank you, I will check it out.

Missoula, Montana...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

Just in case someone is still paying attention to this, China Mobile sells a dual-number SIM in Hong Kong that gives you heavily discounted roaming rates on the mainland. Ask for the "1-card-2-number prepaid SIM". It's about on par with what you'd pay if you took a SIM from one city on the mainland to another (yes, domestic roaming still exists up there and it is NOT cheap) but the advantage is that you don't have to deal with local recharge vouchers- you can do it online from China Mobile's website, it's all in English, and they take Visa/MasterCard. Perfect for the short-term traveler coming in through HK.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

>> Ask for the "1-card-2-number prepaid SIM"

All prepaid SIM products from China Mobile HK support 1-card-MULTIPLE-numbers (HK/China/Macau). No need to ask for specific one. Instead pick one that suits your local use pattern. 1-card-2-numbers also available from PCCW, 3HK and Smartone on specific cards.

Missoula, Montana...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

No, I asked at the China Mobile shop at HKG earlier this month; if you grab one of the HK-number-only SIMs they stock at the airport (not all their SIMs are one-card-multiple-number), they charge HK$6-ish per minute on the mainland. They also have separate Guangdong and nationwide SIMs; since I go to Shanghai the's a pretty big difference. The 3HK shop said their multiple-number SIMs were for postpaid customers only when pressed about availability. PCCW and Smartone don't have shops in HKG airport.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

1. there is no China Mobile Shop at HKG (the airport)

2. again, all China Mobile HK cards support 1-number-Multiple-Number. It's in the tariff.

Local Prepaid

…chinamobile.com/en/prepaid_services/prepaid…

IDD Prepaid

Roaming Prepaid

Visitors to HK Prepaid

Missoula, Montana...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

I won't be heading back to HKG anytime soon so I can't contest you on point 1, only to say that if it's in the same general area as the 3 and 1010 shops, has a China Mobile logo on it, has China Mobile SIMs on display, and has employees with China Mobile badges, I'm going to call it a China Mobile shop.

On 2, however, I said that not all ARE 1-card-multiple-number by default. In your linked tariff, it says it costs extra on a SIM that's not their dedicated one, and they get charged slightly more.

Charges for a true 1-card-multiple-number SIM:

…chinamobile.com/tc/prepaid_services/prepaid…

No paying extra for the feature, the cap on roaming data charges is lower, as are voice charges.

8. Re: Sim Card question HK and mainland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:21