We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa in expired passport

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visa in expired passport

I want to apply for a tourist visa to china and the application requires my old expired passport with a prior visa on it. The passport has been destroyed. Does anyone know what to do?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa in expired passport

Just go anyway. What will happen is that you will not get a one year visa or multi entry. you may only get a dual entry or single entry.

I had the same issue a few months back in melb.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa in expired passport

Thanks for your advice but I'm presuming the Melbourne visa centre won't process the application without sighting the old passport. Do you mean just turn up to the visa centre anyway?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa in expired passport

Yes. The old passport is just an "add-on". If you been to China before this helps you to get a long-term visa easier as Skeggles says. Like "Ok, he has been to China and came back so we can issue him a one-year visa". How do others apply for a visa who have never been to China and can not show their previous visa?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa in expired passport

Thanks iaowai88. I only want a single entry tourist visa so I'll just turn up to the visa centre with my current passport.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
399 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa in expired passport

I find it odd that they require an old passport with a prior visa for a single entry tourist visa. I would think that for a single entry tourist visa your current, not-yet-expired passport would be sufficient.

We're in the process of applying for a single entry tourist passport and there was nothing on the site I visited about expired passports. Are you sure they told you this?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa in expired passport

Friend of mine returned back to his home country and got a new passport as old one was full. When applying for a one-year multiple entry business visa at his Chinese consulate he showed his old passport with all his Chinese residence visa (they get renewed every year), the officer smiled and said "no problem". Nearly impossible to get it if you never been to China before. Of course your passport is enough but then you don`t get such visa but only a single or double-entry. That`s it. There is no "rule" that you MUST show your old passport at all. It only helps to get certain visa. As said: What if you don`t have an old passport and never been to China? You don`t get a visa?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,063 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa in expired passport

Not compulsory but it helps if you have old visas.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa in expired passport

No the problem seems to be that the application asks whether you have had a previous visa to china and if so you are asked to produce it which I can't since its in a destroy expired Australian passport. It doesn't make much sense as the application also asks for a personal contact in china which I don't have.

I have never heard of this problem before and almost everyone I know has been to china!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa in expired passport

I think you are about to make it a problem. Then tick "no" where they ask if you have been to China or tick "yes" and state "visa in invalid passport which was destroyed" and "no" where they ask for a personal contact.

When I fly into China I always have to fill out the arrival card. At "intended address in China" I always put the address of my favorite pub as mine is too long with all the numbers (street number, block number, unit number, apartment number). Never any question...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa in expired passport

Thanks for all your advice. I will proceed as suggested.