We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport validity to enter China

Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Passport validity to enter China

Hi,

I currently hold a chinese visa, but my passport expires 3-4 months after intended entry. Visa is valid for entry on the intended date, but I read the Chinese government requires a minimum 6 months validity of the passport beyond date of return.

Anybody in a similar situation/familiar with the topic? Is it OK to travel...Chinese consulate says it's fine one day, call the next day and no definitive answer.

Please advise

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport validity to enter China

It's not only China, most countries require their visitors to have at least 6 months prior to expiry upon entering their country.

I understand the problems you have with calling the Chinese Consulate, b/c it depends who you talk to.

From experience, and if you don't want any problems or hassle at the Chinese customs and immigration, I advise you to get a new passport asap before travelling to China.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport validity to enter China

Thanks, Katetam.

Since this morning I went to the Consulate in person and they insisted that there is no problem and if visa is OK, then entry is guaranteed.

I would renew my passport, poblem is living in a foreing country and passport rebewal will take too long. Have you heard/do you know of people who have had problems, lots of hassle?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport validity to enter China

well, it depends on what country you're from. Like Canada, and USA if you tell them you need the passport urgently for a travel that is upcoming... give them the date, and your itinerary (from a travel agent) or if you issued tickets, show them your air tickets, they will process your passport in time for your travel. (I think at least 10 days is required).

If you got a confirmation from the Chinese Consulate that it's ok.... make sure you got this person's name and where he works, in case you do get into problems at the immigration. (most likely you won't b/c you are probably just staying in China for a short trip right?)

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport validity to enter China

That's right, only short trip and passport will have over three months validity after intended date of return from China. At the consulate they say that my passport's expiration date was assessed and considered dring the visa application process.

Now I'm off to my country's consulate in Toronto to try to see whether the issue of a new passport can be speeded up.

BTW, no problem travelling with two passports (new one and visa stamped in the old one)? or do I have to re-apply for the visa as weel?

Thanks again

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport validity to enter China

well, that's the problem. With some visa (like US that lasts for many years), it's OK with the visa on an expired/cancelled passport. But with the Chinese one, the border guard puts a stamp on the visa page, so I am not sure how it's going to work. But if the consulate official said OK (and it is in fact a standard procedure for them to look at the passport expiry before issuing a visa), it should be fine.

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport validity to enter China

NO, you CANNOT travel with two passport to china.

It happen to my niece in Feb this year, she entered china once with her double entry visa, then her canadian passport left 3 months to go so she applied for a new one, she was then advised by the visa office in HK that she had to apply for a new visa, or pay to transfer that to her new passport instead of traveling with 2 passports.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport validity to enter China

Does anyone have any recent experience in a similar situation?

My passport expires just shy of 6 months (about 20 days) from when I am leaving China. I haven't been able to get any straight answers from the Chinese Consulate in Toronto- one day it is fine, the next they say it "might" be okay.

I have a roundtrip ticket confirmed and am back by Sept 30th, when my passport expires March 9. I just don't want to get turned away at the airport, but it's nice not to have to drop the money to rush and get a new passport.

Should I get a new passport, or will it be okay?

Any advice is helpful.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,058 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport validity to enter China

My daughter (Canadian) went to China for a few months and returned with much less than 6 months on her passport with no problem.

Actually if you already have a visa I don't see the point of getting a new passport - then a new visa!

I assume your visa is only good for 30 days (90 days is the max), so as your visa expires before your passport, you have no problem getting out of China.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport validity to enter China

If it is possible, I would send an email to the Chinese consulate requesting an answer.

We had the exact same problem when going to Brazil. As we had an email from the Brazilian consulate stating that we could enter Brazil under these circumstances we were allowed in the country. They questioned us until I produced the email.

Good Luck

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport validity to enter China

>> If it is possible, I would send an email to the Chinese consulate requesting an answer.

Good luck with that.