We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary, please

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary, please

Hi everyone,

I have most of my route planned, but would appreciate suggestions for where to go between Shanghai and Hong Kong. I was thinking an overnight somewhere so we can enjoy China's beautiful nature and to give us a break from the urban landscape. Thanks.

Gila

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary, please

Zhangjiajie or Guilin. Both are well connected to Zhu River delta by both train and flight.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary, please

Do you have more than overnight?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary, please

No. Just one night.

Gila

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary, please

I don't think there would be any point in going to Zhangjiajie with just one night. There are limited flights and the airport is close to Zhangjiajie city not the scenic area. Tianmen Mountain is close to the city but I still think you would need more time. Of course it would depend on arrival and departure times or whether you took a train.

If you could get a flight in and out of Lijiang it may be worth considering.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary, please

What about Huangshan? It is one of the most beautiful mountains in China. The nearest domestic airport is at Tunxi, about an hour drive from the base of the mountain, the flight from Shanghai Hongqiao airport is less than one hour.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary, please

If one night, perhaps Hangzhou is your choice. Huangshan, Guilin are hard to cover in that short time. Zhangjiajie is doable with at least 2 nights.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary, please

You can either visit Hangzhou or Guilin for a break between two metropolis. Reach Hangzhou by high speed train from Shanghai,while fly to Guilin. Personally speaking,Guilin is better to meet up your beautiful nature standard.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary, please

This will be an expensive and not necessarily fulfilling stop wherever you decide. I would really advise you to consider spending a couple of nights somewhere, especially if you want to get out of the urban environment. Otherwise, I'd say save your money and fly direct to HK and go to the one of the outlying islands instead.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,274 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary, please

Guilin is not between HK & Shanghai, and is simply not worth a one night stop, unless on your way to Yangshuo.

I would add either Hangzhou (hardly rural, but an attractive city) or an overnight trip to a water town.

10. Re: Help with itinerary, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 19:01