We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Emerald

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Viking Emerald

I was seriously considering the new Viking Emerald ship. I am starting to reconsider. Can anyone give me a good reference on this ship? Is it truly moldy? Is the ship too hot, poor AC? I am very picky on accommodations. I am thinking of going in March. Sounds like that would be best weather. What does everyone think?

Is there another cruise line everyone loves?

Please give me any words of wisdom you can on China. I definitely want a cruise ship as I am allergic to seafood and need someone to help me avoid. I couldn't do a land package for that reason.

Thanks for any help!!

Karen

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking Emerald

I've heard good remarks and hope they're true since I'm cruising on it this February. I travel a lot internationally. This is a much smaller cruise ship than I'm use to but that has its pluses. If you go with a negative attitude, it will be bad and all the bad things will jump out at you. If you go with a desire for fun and a good attitude then it will all go well :-) I like its itinerary and want to see it all plus have a good time! There will be negatives connected to every cruise there is. Good luck to you making the best decision for yourself.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking Emerald

Hi, I was on this cruise last week. I had a great time. I have written a Review which should be released in a couple of days. Title - Viking Emerald Imperial Jewels of China 12 dayTour and Cruise.

There was fish in many dishes but everything is clearly labelled and there are optional dishes - you should do fine.

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking Emerald

Just finished 5 days on Viking Emerald. This boat was built in 2010 by Century and chartered by Viking. Construction quality is not up to European standards, but decor is up to European standards. Yangstze valley is sometimes referred to as the "furnace of China". Fall is the best time to travel. Much less humid and rainy which is important on the Emerald. Air conditioning cools the room fine, but does not dehumidify. If you wash clothes be prepared to dry them on your balcony. The staff is wonderful. Food is uneven. Some very good, some ordinary. If you like better wine, get the drink package. Tours on the river are good and leave at a reasonable hour. The Yangtze is used as a garbage disposal by many of its inhabitants. Don't expect pristine water. Air is a mix of fog and pollution. Visibility was poor most of the trip. Take the U.S. CDC's advice. Dring only bottled water or alcoholic beverages while in China. Tap water is not safe to drink anywhere.

4. Re: Viking Emerald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:17