We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
134 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I plan to spend about 12 days traveling throughout China next year. Since there is so much I'd like to see in our two weeks there, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed when it comes to planning out the sites and transport around the country.

I am considering booking a private tour, but my boyfriend and I don't really care for guides (we'll likely make exceptions for the Great Wall and Terracotta Warriors). We like to travel around independently, especially within towns/cities. However, it'd be great to book with a company that can arrange the hotels, domestic flights, tickets to sites, etc but let us wander on our own. Sometimes GAdventures offers services like this but unfortunately none are available in China. Does anyone have any recommendations?

In case you'd like to know, we plan to see: Beijing, Xi'An, Guillin, Longsheng, Yangshuo and Shanghai and/or Hong Kong (time permitting).

Thanks!

Sao Paulo, SP
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

You can have a look at www.chinatravel.com

My wife booked a honeymoon tour with them last March. Everything went smoothly during our trip.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

The largest online travel agents are ctrip.com; travelzen.com and elong.net.

You can book flights and hotels with them.

Tickets to site you buy at the entrance. Nothing complicated.

You definitely do not need a guide for the Great Wall, just a driver.

At the Terracotta Warriors, there are many guides offering their services at the entrance.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

GW and TCW are probably the best examples of places where a guide is redundant IMO. After reading your post I'm left wondering why on earth you feel the need to have a company do anything for you. Seems you're pretty independent. Unfortunately, 12 days is not enough to realistically see all those places. Either Shanghai or HK (or both) will have to go, depending on your priorities.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

Hope this may help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k5405…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
134 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

Good to know about not needing guides at the Great Wall or to see the Terracotta warriors! Do you recommend arranging a car to take me from my hotel to sites in advance or just find a local taxi?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
134 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

I was expecting to not be able to see both Shanghai and Hong Kong, but it would be a bummer to not see either. Maybe I'll try to add a few more days onto my trip length.

Now my question is whether to pick Shanghai over Hong Kong or vice-versa - but I'll probably need to start a new thread for that!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

If you get a car and driver from the hotel, it is likely to be at a premium. Better arrange one yourself ahead of time. See ads here: www.thebeijinger.com

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

Shanghai vs. Hong Kong is an old topic discussed before. Perhaps you can find the info using the search box. Remember to allow intercity transfer times in your itinerary. In Beijing, we would advise getting a private driver to take you to the arguably better parts of the Great Wall. Otherwise use public transport. Not difficult to get the bus to TCW in Xian.

9. Re: Recommended websites to book independent travel in China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:20