We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

moncuq
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

hi, I am planning a trip from shanghai to beijing, and visit a few sacred mountains on the way. I already know may 1st and the first week of october are to be avoided, but is there a month when the smog is less present in the major cities? I consider may, september or october, but I fear late october will be unbearable because of coal burning.

your advices are welcome if you know alternative towns (close to Shanghai and Beijing by public transportation) to avoid pollution, noise and high prices in hotels!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,060 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

September and all of October are pretty good. They have not started the heating yet in late October. May and June are also pretty good.

Pollution is greatly influenced by weather and is unpredictable. It can change completely from one day to the next.

Depending on how far you want to go, around Shanghai you have places like Suzhou and Tongli and from Beijing you can do an overnight trip to Chengde. There is also Pingyao which is a bit further.

I guess you already know about the sacred mountains.

Hangzhou, Zhejiang...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

I think September and October are better. Years ago, in April and early May, small white things (not sure whether it is willow catkins will flutter in the air in Beijing.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

Was there last week nov. Clear blue skies but cold.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

Was in Beijing last week of nov. Clear blue skies but cold.

moncuq
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

thanks! I fear september is still in the rainy season, so I will probably go after the first week of october. do you know if the national holidays 'bleed', and I can expect still packed places ans trains after they are over?

and no, I don't know anything about the sacred mountains. I just saw pictures of huang shan and decided to go. I plan to travel by train only.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,060 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

There may be some spillover but nowhere near as bad.

I never experienced much rain un September over the years.

Some of the sacred mountains are harder to get to. Just need some good planning and you'll be fine.

7. Re: best time to visit Shanghai and Beijing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:19