We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is google maps currently accessible in China

Penang
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is google maps currently accessible in China

Hello,

I rely on my phone's google map when I travel. I am hearing that google maps might be blocked in China.

Is the service accessible in China? How about Gmail?

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

I personally would not rely on google maps in China. I don't know about further north, but just down here in the Pearl River delta region major bridges go missing, and hotels or other useful or interesting places "migrate" ... pity the poor people who thought they had booked a hotel in Macau, an then discovered they needed visas and border crossings to access it, because it was north of the border ...

As for gmail, I've not had any problems accessing plain text emails, but if your account, or any links you receive, are linked through to *restricted* websites (such as this site's links to Facebook), things can get garbled, slow to snail's pace, or just disappear.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,687 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

It is accessible and works very well. I always use it when driving in China.

Earlier this year i was driving in a remote area in western China and it was quite precise and better than the Chinese supplied by the car rental company. I also used it in Shanghai which I find is a complcated place to drive and Google maps on my iPhone was giving me accurate turn-by-turn instructions in english. Google maps voice turn-by-turn instructions is only supported in some countries and China is one of them.

@oisaan - google maps' information is supplied by users (a bit like TA) and when one finds a mistake, it is better to report it. When using the iPhone, you just shake the phone when you are at the location and a window pops up. I have founds mistakes in Canada as well and they were corrected within two weeks.

Penang
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

Thank you very much again Jean-Pierre D.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,913 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

THanks for the update, JPD - still having a 2G mobile phone, I had no idea about reporting faults - dohh.

But I've just noticed that the G-maps Shenzhen Bay Bridge still stops in the middle of the water - but at least they've started building it!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

Hello,

I have read a few articles regarding the use of Google map in China. Some articles are positive while some are negative. Can i check if we can still use Google map in China?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,687 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

Recently its reliability has been iffy. Possibly due to the youth games. It is always better to use a VPN in any case to ensure no problem with anything that has to do with the internet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

no problem in using Gmaps so far.

Baidu maps might be an alternative.

Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

Currently I see that Google is blocked here in China No maps and no gmail and no YouTube if you use local internet.

Can you switch to another map provider?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

QQ Map or Baidu Map would help if GMap is not accessible

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,687 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is google maps currently accessible in China

This is an old thread. VPN is now required for Google maps in China. These other options are not as good as Google maps and hard to find them in English.