We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling pregnant in China (?)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling pregnant in China (?)

I'm considering traveling to China this summer but am undecided, as we're trying for a baby at the moment so there's a risk I might be pregnant by the time we go. Just wondered if anyone had any advice? The thing I'm most worried about in China would be the food and any issues this might cause (hygiene, adulteration, etc) - I've heard a lot on the news about this sort of thing but is it a real issue? Has anyone had to cancel and claim on the insurance because they didn't feel well enough to travel when pregnant? I'm reluctant to put travel plans on hold for something which might not even happen, but I know I should be sensible.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

Welcome here. Millions of locals and many expats get pregnant in China every year. Personally I know 3 expats living in China who had their babies here. They did not report about any problems/issues and lived their normal life with going to work, eat out in the evening etc. So do not worry too much.

Do you know what is in your food at any time in London?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

It's difficult to give advice for some event that may or may not happen. If you have concerns about health issues the best person to ask would be your own doctor. China has 1.5 billion citizens, so obviously pregnancies and births do occur there.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

I'm not clear on what the exact question is. If you have travel insurance then it should state fairly clearly what the policy is concerning cancellation made by yourself. Since we aren't privy to the news you've heard it's a bit difficult to comment upon whatever issue you're referring to. Like the UK, China has various laws about food safety and hygiene, health inspectors and all that, but ultimately the individual has to take the lead responsibility for what they consume. Certainly scandals do occur and people are wary of this here - perhaps even more so than in the UK.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

I would only consider travelling if you are in your 2nd trimester. It is very different being a pregnant expat (and yes, I also knew quite a few). They can stay at home/in bed & have their favourite foods if they feel nauseous. Travelling from place to place & smelling unfamiliar odours would not be fun with morning sickness! Later in pregnancy can be be a problem if you have early onset of labour, as a NZ woman discovered recently. She found that her travel insurance didn't cover the baby & ran up a huge bill in Shanghai before the baby was well enough to return to NZ.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

#1 being a local or expat in China while pregnant, when you have a real home and a support system, a doctor, and some way to control your food supply is one thing, being a pregnant traveler with none of this is another! I pretty much concur with others; if you want to do this, second trimester is usually not much of any issue. Couple of other thoughts:

1) Before you become pregnant, you might want to check your vaccination status and get anything that you need that is best not given once you do become pregnant. For China, in addition to the "normal" stuff that you should have already like measles, mumps, rubella, I'd also add Hepatitis A and B to the list. Most of the rest of the exotic options aren't necessary unless you are going off the beaten track....which if pregnant you probably should think twice about anyway.

2) Maybe you should hold off making any nonrefundable travel arrangements for at least a few months until you see how things go. Once pregnant, you never know how you are going to feel. Every woman is different.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 15:52
6. Re: Travelling pregnant in China (?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:17