We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa, extensions, year stay

3 posts
Save Topic
visa, extensions, year stay

Hi all, just after some advice. I am flying to china at the end of January, to studay language and martial arts, i plan on staying for a year. Have been accepted at a school ect, so no problems there. The issue i have, is that i have only been issued a single entry three month visa. I need to know if its easy to get an extension, preferably three months on top, without leaving the country or even going to Hong Kong. Due to money and of course time which could be better spent training, i dont want to be leaving china every three months to get another visa, i will be many, many hours from hong kong staying over 50km from the nearest city. I am a U.K citizen and was issued my visa from London. Please any advice is welcome. Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

You will not get that kind of visa extension. You should have been getting a student visa that covers the school year. You may also not continuously get a new tourist visa from HK, don't count on that.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

I origionally wanted the student visa, but was told that as it is not a college/university, that i could not get that type of visa (x1 or x2) and that i could only be granted an f type visa (short term study, culture exchange, tourism)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

Then that's all you can expect. The short answer is that you are probably expected to repatriate yourself before your permitted duration of stay in China expires. You may travel to a different country instead, of course, but there are no guarantees that you would be issued a similar visa elsewhere. In fact, I'd suggest it would be unlikely. Maybe someone with recent first-hand knowledge will respond but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

You're likely going to have to get a new visa by heading out of the country (likely to HK). If you like the school that you start with, they will likely write you a new letter of invitation for another 3-month F visa. If you don't like the school, then find another and have them write the LOI. This is probably doable once, but may not be repeatable for a third 3 months. You will have to readjust your plans and budget around this visa situation since it's unlikely you'll find a visa policy that meets your preferred needs.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

Ok thanks for your replies, ill do a bit more digging and see what i come up with.

6. Re: visa, extensions, year stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19