We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

Hi, I just have a question regarding applying for a Chinese Tourist (L) Visa.

I am Chinese American and was born in the states, my parents are both US citizens. I'm finding different directions on applying for my first Chinese visa. I see that some sites indicate that I need my birth certificate and copies of my parents' passport but this is not indicated on the main website of the consulate.

My question is - where is there any indication that I'm of Chinese descent? My passport does not say anything and my last name could technically be Korean.

Any advice would be much appreciated or if anyone has any experience applying through the NYC Consulate.

Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,859 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

You were not born in China and neither were your parents, so you are just a regular American citizen. These points do not concern you.

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

My parents were born in China but they are now US citizens - the guidelines I read specifically mentioned Chinese descent so I was confused. Thanks for the clarification!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

My interpretation is that the requirements apply only to "child" applicants, i.e. if you are not an adult.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

I am an early thirties adult born in Canada of Chinese descent and a visa office just asked for my long form birth certificate and parents' passports and proof of citizenship! It's really ludicrous that they're asking an adult for these documents (parents could be separated, living far away, etc) I don't know how I'll procure all these documents in time for my flight (I've never been issued a long form birth certificate) and now I may lose thousands of dollars.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 09:34
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,859 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

Don't see how you will loose thousands of dollars but in any case, give them what you have. If they bother you about your Chinese descent, say you are of Korea descent or something.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

Agree with JP. Don't do anything on the application that emphasizes any Chinese-ness. Leave the item "Name in Chinese" blank (or write n/a). There is a place for family members but it doesn't ask for birthplace, just current nationality. I don't think the birth certificate thing applies for adult applicants who were born outside China.

7. Re: Chinese American (born in the US) going to China (Visa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:15