We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

Hello I land in shanghai on the 17th jan and have a double entry visa, I plan on spending the first 3 days in and around shanghai can you tell me any water villages close by?

Then I want to know what the quickest way to Guangzhou apart from flying, I'm planing to spend two days there then head to Hong Kong for two days maybe three.

Do you know any points of interest around Guangzhou?

This takes me up to the 25/26 jan depending on travelling time.

After there I'm travelling up to xian for Terracotta Army and city walls etc

What's the best way to get xian from Guangzhou again without flight trying to keep cost down.

I'm spending 3 days in and around xian, then fly to shanghai to meet up with a friend who finishes work for the Chinese New Year on the 29th.

Then travel up to Beijing and back 30th - 7th

Can you suggest any places on the way to go??

I want to go to heavens gate and other places of natural beauty but will it be acessable at that time of year?

Any info or website would be great help thank you very much!

My hobbies and interest include scenic places for photo opportunitys, mountains, rivers, waterfalls, nightlife, places where you can experience the real china, and architecture.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,869 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

Everywhere in China is the real China.

If you do not want to fly then the next best choice, although not always fast, is the train. You can get fast trains between Shanghai and Shenzhen but not Guangzhou. You also have fast trains between Beijing and Xi'An and Beijing and Shanghai but not between Xi'An and Shanghai. But there are some good overnight train.

Understand however that this is during the Chinese new year holidays and tickets sell out super quickly. Some of these tickets have already been released and not sure there are any left. Better get moving now on this. flights can always be a backup but they will be quite expensive at that time.

So, given your dates, figuring out transportation will have a big influence on your plans, especially since you are late.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Guilin, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

There are several water villages near Shanghai, recommend Zhouzhuang village and Tongli village, about 1-2 hrs from Shanghai.

As Guangzhou, i'm not sure what's interests. But the Cantonese food is really wonderful.

The major people would go Terracotta Army in Xi'an, but there are too many must-see in Beijing: the forbidden city, visiting local hutong by rickshaw, wild great wall hiking, kungfu show.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

Yea looks like I'll just fly to the places now, shanghai - Hong Kong, hk - Guangzhou, guangzhou -xian, xian Beijing. Just too save on time. Thanks for the advice! Next time I'll try and go for longer and not book over a public holiday

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
4. Re: China jan 16 2014 - 8 feb 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20