We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese language & translator

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Chinese language & translator

Hello all,

I'd like to make a pocket English-Chinese translator and wondered if anybody can help out - I've been trying to use Google Translate and it has these two options - Chinese (Simplified) ; Chinese (Traditional) - as I understand, some parts of China uses one and some uses the other - which is which ?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese language & translator

I think all of mainland China uses simplified.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese language & translator

Basic rule is more or less: Except Guangdong and Fujian province, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan all other parts of China use simplified. And 90% of the people in a.m. regions using traditional could read simplified. So stick to simplified.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese language & translator

That's great, thank you Qupnicely, thank you laowai88 .

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese language & translator

Traditional Chinese is not being used in China.

Good luck with your project as there are already tons of electronic translators as well as apps for smartphones doing this quite well.

5. Re: Chinese language & translator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18