We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What cities to travel?

St. Gallen...
2 posts
Save Topic
What cities to travel?

Hello everybody

My brother (23) and me (21) are planning a two-week trip to China in July. We thought of either travelling Beijing - Shanghai or Beijing - Macao - Hong Kong. Unfortunately it won't be possible to stay longer than two weeks.

What city/cities would you recommend more and why? If you want to recommend other cities that would be appreciated as well!

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What cities to travel?

Beijing is the most important because of the amount to see but you can also fit in Xian as well as Shanghai and/or Hong Kong and Macau in this time frame.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What cities to travel?

These are fine places. Beijing is the most important. In the end, it depends on your interest.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What cities to travel?

Does the trip have to be confined to cities?

Consider picking one city, such as Beijing, where there is lots of history, and one place that is known for its scenic beauty, such as Jiuzhaigou in Sichuan?

Nanjing, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What cities to travel?

Two weeks are indeed too short, and as others have said, it depends on your interest. Is it for culture, scenery, history or big city life? Beijing, Shanghai and HK should be fine for culture and big city life. I would recommend to skip HK and spend some time in places nearby SH like villiages Xidi, Hongcun at the foot of yellow mountain, Zhouzhuang, and Tongli. These villiages are very beautiful, and you can pick one of them, no need to cover all. Besides, I like Xi'an very much, you can visit Terrocota. It was the capital of Tang dynasty, and of totally different atomosphere than those in the southeast villages.

St. Gallen...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What cities to travel?

Thanks a lot for all your great answers!

Of course we want to see some big city life and also learn about the Chinese culture. But it would also be cool to see as many different things (also scenery) as possible...

Terracota in Xi'An also sounds very interesting, but is it a good idea to travel there by train when we have just 2 weeks time?

6. Re: What cities to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 06:19