We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones

Hi I've read the posts re mobile phones, SIM cards etc and am quite confused. We have an old Nokia and a new one (unlocked) that we could use in China. My dilemma is that we only need it for emergencies and so the kids can call us from their hotel room to ours if they need to during the night. Otherwise it will only be urgent texts from home. If we took our current locked phones what would we need to do to avoid high roaming charges? The other thing is that we will need a phone for our week in Hong Kong as family live there, and then would have to buy yet another SIM card. My husband reckons we could take our walky talkies for inter room contact & just one mobile for urgent calls, I'm laughing as I type this but he thinks they will work! If they don't it's a heavy item to lug around. Any advice much appreciated!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones

G'day,

from hotel room to hotel room- you do not need your mobile room(or walkie talkie)- use their(ie. hotel) intra room to room dial service.

your current locked phones- are they smartphones with data plan? if smartphone- disable data roaming; and whether smartphone or old phone- contact your celco to disable voice messaging when roaming; otherwise, say you are roaming,a call comes in, you did not answer,or go to your voice mail, roaming charges will incur.

Your unlocked phone can take HK prepaid SIM -if you do not wish on this option, you could look at Woolies Global SIM if that suits you better.

Also you need plug adapter as power points in HK and Mainland CHina are different to Australia's.

Cheerio.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,291 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones

If you are planning only little use in case of emergencies then it is probably cheaper to pay roaming charges. Make sure to turn off data roaming though.

If you need it more in HK then buy a local SIM..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones

If HK is your first stop, it is no problem.

In HK; such as 7-Elevan, buy ‘HK+China phone no’ SIM card for your cell phones. Basic fee is HKD60 (???min air time with 3-months, not sure)

China Mobile is my preference because of good coverage at rural area. If you visit big cities, there is no difference with others.

You shall refill your SIM card, just send SMS to your family in HK.

At hotel, you’ll use the room-to-room dial service. Walky talkies used, when your kids out-of-your sights.

I’m no idea for your old cell phone. Will it download ‘Device Manager Apps’?

When cell phone on and under wi-fi coverage, you’re easy to find the location. If not, just call. Usually, most of accomodations provide free local call within China (not to HK, Macau).

The 3-pin Australian plug fits the China socket. You’ll buy a Austraian- HK adaptor, most likely @HKD10.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones

I found it easier to just purchase a "roaming package" in my home country for the country that you are going to. I called my provider and purchased a roaming package for China and Hong Kong for $90CAD. This allowed me xx amount of air time from my home country and my visiting country, free incoming text messages from my home country and from the country I am visiting and 200 outgoing texts to China or Canada. Basically what it boils down to, is that calls to and from Canada are charged as local calls as well as the calls made in China. But be aware that the minutes are limited. I think I got 40 mins. With wifi, you can get Skype or Facetime on an iphone, so you should not have to use that many minutes calling home. Hope this makes sense.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones

the Australian 3 pin will not fit,as Australia's is inverted V blades whilst China is parallel blades

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones

Re #5,

Surprising!!

I traveled all Provinces and Autonomous Region of China; the STANDARD 3-pin plug is V-blades.

OP shall surf Google Image on ‘Australian 3 pin plug’, ‘China 3 pin plug’ and the descriptions on ‘Australian standard AS/NZS 3112 (Type I)’ and ‘China CPCS-CCC (Type I)’ at …wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_socke…

Definitely, it fits.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,291 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones

Agree with the above, China is mostly the inverted V blades and sometimes the double parallel blades as per the photos here:

http://electricaloutlet.org/type-i

http://electricaloutlet.org/type-a

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones

Yep, right I stand corrected...sorry..indeed in China, it is also inverted V, however you need to turn your Australian plug upside down as the grounding pin is the other way round as compared to in Australia.

Though there is also the parallel pins...so best get an adapter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones

Thank you for all your helpful replies, I appreciate it very much. Because we don't use our mobile very much ( I know we are old fashioned!) I think we'll take the locked smart phone for emergencies and the unlocked with a sim in HK. Does anyone know if Nokias work and if Telstra have coverage for China? Thanks for the advice re switching off voice and data roaming, also re the adapter - which I had assumed was different to ours in Aust. Cheers!

10. Re: Mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:23