We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to teach English in China?

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to teach English in China?

Hi guys,

I am planning to move to China to teach English and to learn Mandarin and I was hoping I could ask a few questions.

#1 Am I better off flying to China first then applying for jobs (perhaps in person) while in the country, or applying for positions advertised on the internet?

#2 If I choose to take my chances and look for work after arriving rather than before I leave, will the schools still reimburse my plane ticket costs?

#3 Probably the most important one is I'm after suggestions on where I should move. I have spent a few months in China in the big cities, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, etc, but the thought of dealing with that smog on a daily basis does not sound appealing at all. I am not into partying so I'm not concerned about nightlife or lack thereof. I'm not concerned about whether there is a large expat community or whether it would be fairly isolated however I've been warned if I'm going to go to a more isolated city to pick carefully because some are friendlier than others to English teachers. Keeping in mind my criteria of somewhere to learn mandarin and get a job teaching english where they're not going to rip me off, in a city with the least amount of smog, can anybody suggest some places I should research? I don't care about exciting nightlife or places to meet women etc, that's not what I'm there for. Checking the air quality maps and a few random google searches Yunfu seemed to fit the bill, apart from the mandarin part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Fenix

Xi'an Kathy's Tour-Day Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Slow Boat Brewery Taproom
Bars & Clubs, Breweries, Other Food & Drink
30 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to teach English in China?

You might be better off asking on a website that deals with this subject rather than a tourist website like this. You need to apply in your own country so question 2 is irrelevant. Be very wary of any 'offers' that suggest otherwise. Do your homework. Good luck.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,066 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to teach English in China?

You will need a work visa which you need to apply for in your own country.

If you do not want to deal with smog on a daily basiS then you should not go to China.

Use google to search websites that deal with this topic.

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to teach English in China?

I suggest you to come Lijiang, Yunnan Province. It is a beautiful City in Southwest of China, far from Smog and crowd. Here we have many foreigners living here for years.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,576 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to teach English in China?

Hi,

You could consider Dalian. For jobs in China check out tefl.com and daves eslcafe.com.

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to teach English in China?

Yes thank you, I believe Lijiang is very high on the possible list. I only found out about that town today and it seems to suit my plans very well

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,694 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to teach English in China?

Do take note of the requirement to get your Z visa sorted in Australia. You are best to get a job before you leave Australia. If you have all the right qualifications for a "real" job in a high school or university, you'll be looking at a 1 September start date so you have plenty of time. If you are prepared to work for a language mill such as EF, you could find a job sooner. Try Dave's ESL Cafe or TEFL International.

Derbyshire
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to teach English in China?

Hi, I am a young ESL teacher in China and i work for a private school called TT Elite in Guiyang, the capital city of Guizhou province Southwest China. Regarding where to teach in China the one tip I would say is dont only consider the wages but the local climate and living expenses too. For example, you generally get higher wages in Beijing and Shanghai but the cost of living is much greater there too. For Example, a 8000RMB job in Southwest China goes further than a 10000RMB job in Beijing. I recently made a website to show pictures of what life is actually like in the typical lesser known Chinese cities at http://www.Chinatefler.com . It should help you get a feel for the place from a first-hand perspective. All the best! :)

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to teach English in China?

That's not entirely correct, the Z visa does not necessarily need to be organised before you leave home just before you enter the country you intend to stay in. I organised mine from outside my home country and have successfully been living in the Heilongjang province in the N.E. of China for a while now. Thank you everyone for the replies

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,694 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to teach English in China?

The operative word is "a while" - the rules changed and my uni has had to send new teachers home to arrange their vhisas while those of us who have been in China for years can get renewals without leaving the country.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,066 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to teach English in China?

Right, did you get your visa before or after the rules changed?

Reply to: Where to teach English in China?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted