We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

Would love some inside information to put my mind at ease for my honeymoon. My question is:

Have I left enough time at HKG for my transfer?

I arrive with United airlines at 7:10pm (terminal 1) local from EWR on Monday June 9th and am scheduled on an Air Asia flight at 8:50pm (terminal 2).

I booked back in February and that seemed enough time (just shy of 2 hours) but having a little last min worries that I'll get stuck in long lines, I'm traveling with carry on luggage only!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,964 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

Most of my flight transfers, including varies Asian airports, are between 1-2 hours, I am totally comfortable with 1.5 hours transit, including taking train inside terminal, such as Osaka(1 hour), or long walk in corridors as Tokyo, and in HKG or ICN, 1 hour is always good enough, shorter the better.

Many HK experts will freak out and say it is not enough time, my guess a lot depends on your traveling experience and attitude. I've seen some travelers stepped out airplane and looking for signs in the gangway, blocking everybody else, everything they do is slower, they came to the same transfer gate 30-60 minutes later than me.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,018 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

Well you have to go through customs/immigration twice, in and out. I don't believe AirAsia has air side transit facility.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,632 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

You may want to repost your question in the Hong Kong destination forum for more Hong Kong Destination Experts' opinions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294217-i1496-Hong…

My gut feel is that you don't have enough time. Or running extremely tight where there is no room for maneuver at all.

From the plane arrival at gate (assuming no delay). Deplane, walk to immigration, go through immigration/custom, to Arrival Hall. Best case 30 minutes. That's best case. 10 minutes to walk over to Terminal 2 and find your airline counter. That's 7:50 pm. That's one hour prior to departure time, where normally airlines require 2 hours. After you check in and get your boarding pass, need to go through security and immigration again, and walk to your gate, back in Terminal 1 (all flights depart from Terminal 1 even though check-in may be in Terminal 2).

This is all assuming best case (no flight delay coming in, and no long line at immigration both ways). I think it is very risky in missing your onward flight.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

Hi,

HOld on,there are no AIrAsia-AK flight out of HKIA at 8:50pm - 2050hrs- only at 1950hrs or 2105hrs- please recheck...hope is the 2105hrs..if 1950hrs..uh---oh

5. Re: Have I left enough time to Transfer flights at HKG?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:16