We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

c k
exeter
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

A group of 4 us (2 couples) are going to China for a week In Sept/Oct.

We know this doesn't give us a lot of time and we won't get to explore properly and it will be very tight and not in the slightest bit relaxing and a lot of people will think it is impossible but we're only there once and probably won't be able to go back, we can chill out when we get to Australia, so any advise on how best to use our lack of time would be brilliant.

After booking we realised we have booked completely the wrong week to visit China, due to their Chinese bank holiday week (1st - 7th Oct), I'm going to list our plan below but if anyone has any advise or recommended places to go or when to go to avoid the crowds etc, please let us know, also what area to stay in each of the places, would be good to know.

Other than our flights to China and from China to Sydney, no internal trains or flights are booked yet or hotels. Our nightly budget is up to £30 per night per couple. What are the hostels like? or can anyone recommend cheap hotels? location within each place we're staying is the most important thing, as long as the accommodation is cheap but like everyone, we want the best we can get for our money.

We want to see the main sites but if we can squeeze in a national park or somewhere natural and beautiful that would be really good.

Mon 29th Sept 2014 Arrive Hong Kong at 13:15 - Fly to Chengdu at dep HKG 17:10 arr CTU 19:40 - NEED ACCOMODATION IN CHENGDU

Tue 30th - Chengdu Panda's in the morning (getting there for opening). Explore Chengdu in the afternoon - ANY SUGGESTIONS? Overnight train to X'ian 17:50

Wed 1st October - Arrive X'an 09:43 - Terracotta Armies - stay one night??? or get an overnight train straight to Beijing? 1) are there lockers in X'ian train station? 2) is is worth staying a night? 3) is there a national park to explore nearby?

Thurs 2nd - Either morning in X'ian and Bullet train to Beijing or already in Beijing?

HOTELS IN BEIJING??? What area to stay? best section of the wall? best route to take to see the sites, silk market, best food places etc.

Fri 3rd Beijing

Sat 4th - Beijing

Sun 5th - 01:45 flight to Hong Kong - arrive 04:55, best area to stay? any recommended accommodation? food? places to visit?

Mon 6th - Hong Kong

Tue 7th - Hong Kong - flight to Australia 20:05

Is it worth trying out the bullet train or not worth wasting a afternoon travelling, is better to just get the over night, save on a hotel etc?

All help and advise welcome, like I said no internal trains or flights are booked yet so if anyone has a better itinerary, feel free to let me know.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

Good luck. I don't know about Chengdu but it seems like you should drop it to me with such limited time - not sure if you've booked this. If you want sleeper trains you will have to get an agent to book them for you in advance. At this time of year you cannot be guaranteed to get your first choice of trains and will need to think about back-up options. Normally, you'll be asked for first, second, third preferences for your train trips by the agent.

2. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 03:26
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

Nightmare in the making. I'm not sure you comprehend the realities of what you're trying to cover in a very limited time and during the worst single week of the year. My first suggestion is that you should cancel the entire trip into China, and just split the time between Hong Kong and maybe head to Taiwan for a few days. But since you probably won't do that, my second suggestion is that you eliminate either Chengdu or Xi'an from this trip, probably Chengdu. You can see the Pandas in Hong Kong. Other problems: Scheduling an onward flight from HKG to Chengdu (or anywhere) on a separate ticket puts you at risk of missing the connection if your inbound flight is seriously delayed. Also, you have no I repeat no hope of getting guaranteed train tickets to travel domestically in China, except maybe between Oct 3-5. Maybe. Train is just too iffy to plan around so suggest you fly point to point. Best I could come up with would be:

Sept 29 arrive HK and stay there overnight.

Sept 30, Oct 1 HK. Hopefully the evening fireworks on Oct 1 will be back on for this year.

Oct 2. First morning flight to Beijing, afternoon there.

Oct 3-4-5 Beijing. Late night flight to Xi'an.

Oct 6 Xi'an all day.

Oct 7 Morning flight to Hong Kong, kill time shopping or something. Leave a long connection time before the international flight (like, most of the day) and don't try to cut it too close.

You have zero time to squeeze in a national park or scenic spot in China.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

I get tired just reading about this. You first problem is booking internal travels during the national week (it's not a bank holiday). Train tickets are going to be almost impossible. Visiting tourists sites will be very unpleasant with huge crowds. You don't have any time to squeeze anything, you are already squeezed as it is.

I think I'd go with kvchina's suggestions.

c k
exeter
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

I've been looking on china train tickets, if we book our tickets through a site like this or any agency in advance, are you saying there a chance that due to the busy time of year we still won't get on our chosen train?

Like I said, we haven't booked anything so our plan is flexible.

Any suggestions if we did either just Hong Kong & Taiwan or Hong Kong & Beijing.

c k
exeter
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

Thank you I will look at that hotel & take up your other suggestions if we are able to get to chengdu.

If we book out train tickets in advance, will we definitely be able to get on the train we want despite the busy time of year?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

An agent is just someone sitting by a computer waiting to input your details and purchase on your behalf - no guarantees. As stated, this is one of the worst times to try to arrange domestic travel - many trains will sell out within minutes of tickets going on sale. Your plan isn't that flexible if you've already booked your international legs. Generally, my advice would be to stay put during this week, preferably in a large city like Beijing where there is some manoeuvrability, but kv's plan to work in Xi'an is not unreasonable. Otherwise, I'd suggest forgetting China entirely and use HK as a hub to go somewhere else.

c k
exeter
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

We are thinking about changing our flight to Hong Kong to arrive on 26th September & hoping to still fly to chengdu the same day (maybe a later flight) 27th overnight train to xian 17:50 & late overnight to beijing on 28th or 29th. Fly back to Hong Kong on 5th October.

Do you think this (although still tight) will be possible? We can't take any stops out because the 4 of us have different things we most want to do. What are chances for getting the train tickets we want on 27th/28th or 29th? Again suggestions welcome & appreciated.

c k
exeter
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

We are thinking about changing our flight to Hong Kong to arrive on 26th September & hoping to still fly to chengdu the same day (maybe a later flight) 27th overnight train to xian 17:50 & late overnight to beijing on 28th or 29th. Fly back to Hong Kong on 5th October.

Do you think this (although still tight) will be possible? We can't take any stops out because the 4 of us have different things we most want to do. What are chances for getting the train tickets we want on 27th/28th or 29th? Again suggestions welcome & appreciated.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Week in China - Hong Kong-Chengdu-X'ian-Beijing-HKG

4 cities in one week? Totally crazy even if it is not during the holidays.