We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

How unsafe Erlian really is? Where to spend 7 hours waiting for 7 hours from 3pm till mid nite ?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

Erlian is not particularly unsafe. You can bargain with a local hotel or guesthouse for a room for that time period so you can rest and have some privacy--likely you can come to some agreement for less than a full night's rate. I am curious though: are you planning on flying in from Beijing then catching the international train at Erlian to Ulan Bator, which is the only maneuver I can think of that fits this time frame? Are you sure you can do this? Last I heard, tickets were not sold (at least to foreigners) on the Beijing - Erlian - Zamyn Uud - Ulan Bator international train, for just the Erlian onward part. So if you actually got ticketed from Erlian all the way to UB on the K3 or K23 services, that would be good to confirm for us here...and the agent/source you used. I have heard of people being able to take a train from Erlian to Zamyn Uud across the border only, but still have to then get tickets from Zamyn Uud to UB once there, for the local Mongolian train service.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 17:51
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

Well. Written before but it didn't get through. I made a reservation for July 10 in Beijing. I am in Datong today and spoke with the Erlian office of CITS, my booking is good. They will wait for me to arrive in Erlian by bus and then I will go to their office to pay for the ticket and pick it up.

More updates after this is done.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

Interesting. An update on how it all went, and CITS Erlian, would be fabulous once you get to UB. Safe travels.

4. Re: Connecting to Mongolia via Erlian has anybody tried it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16