We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

2 posts
Save Topic
hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

hello

i was for a short trip three days in hongkong and to be honest my experiences have been all horrible.

first of all is hongkong in my eyes a very dirty city although expensive botiques and hotels and i dont know are everywhere. it is stinky in the streets, in the "normal people's" houses... the public toilets are often a mess.

i went to several food markets. meat was hanging uncooled in the 35 degree hot, humid air. food was falling on the dirty ground, got picked up and selled to a customer.

we went to several food places. yes, they had always english menus, but the waiter have been in most cases super unfriendly, nearly throwing plates and dishes on our table.

we asked several times chinese if they could take a picture of us. they mostly said "no" or just ignored us.

on pur last day we went for breakfast to a quite expensive place. our english menu was smaller than the chinese one, again threw the waiter the chopsticks on our table that they rolled away.

a chinese customer came to us. she told is it would be halfprice if we pay before 11. a waitress noticed and yelled at her (probably did the waitress want her to stop). before 11 we paid... the full price. we complained but the waiter forced us to pay full price with pretending he would not understand what we are saying. but as we said we pay then half with credit card and half cash she immediately understood.

on the pedastrian way did i do the mistake to stop in the middle and starr at something... a man rushed in me that my head was hurting. i couldnt say sth, the man just starred angry at me and left.

in the night we walked on the street. behind us was alid hitting a shop's standing board with advertisment and it fell down. the parents completely ignored it and left.

nearly everytime when we took the train people rushed into it without allowing passengers to leave the train first.

i felt sick one time and was using the mcdonalds toilet "too long". when i left two elder woman waiting in front of the toilet screamed at me in chinese.

chinese nearly always leave their stuff in mcdonalds and co on the table instead of throwing it away (in germany we usually throwing it away).

i cant count how often people rushed into me without saying anything or reacting in anyway.

in restaurants people just sat down at the same table like we did without asking if this would be ok.

i could keep on telling stories...

we are two girls, germanqnd canadianand we never experienced in another asian country a behaviour like this around us. is this normal in hongkong? i cant believe that we ve been so unlucky all the time...

thank you

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

sorry for all the writing mistakes. i klicked by accident on the submit button without proof reading. "alid" means "a kid".

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

Maybe tou need to travel more and experience different culture and different ways. This is why people travel.if you want things lie home then you should stay home. Seems to me that you focus a lot on small things rather than let the water roll over you.

Why does it matter to you if people do not pick up the tray from their table.that's the way it is, period. For one thing it creates jobs. Yes people are in a rush. You are on vacation but they are busy. You are in the way.

What is rude to you is normal in other countries. You probably did several things that locals would consider rude, like standing in their way. Remember, different countries, different cultures. This is their country, you are just a guess.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

You can substitute "Hong Kong" with Paris, New York City, and a few other highly populated, highly crowded cities and the observations could be about the same. Maybe Hong Kong is just the first, or one and only, such city you visited. In crowded space, people bumping into one another is bound to happen often. In Hong Kong, the chance is higher because the place is small and population density extremely high. Walk normally, following the crowd, and suddenly stop to wonder about something - almost guaranteed the people behind you will bump on to you as they don't expect you to stop suddenly (and the people behind them, and the people behind those people...).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

I've seen and encountered almost everything you described in Hongkong, you are totally correct. They are so used to being this way, they no longer realize they are rude and mean. No, people are not like that in other major cities. Through the years, I've met many people who despise HK.

Personally I like HK, it is exotic, different, that mean spirit and rudeness is also part of the attraction, like visiting a zoo, you should watch and enjoy it, get into the acts and crowd. Push back, scream, yell at strangers, that is why travel is fun. Different.

But no, I don't want my city, my country or my people to become like HK. I wouldn't allow my children to behave like HK people.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

If you travel more you will come to appreciate HK for the following (compared to places where people are not rude):

1- You weren't mugged

2- Nobody was carrying guns.

3- You weren't pickpocketed

4- Seems like nobody tried to scam you

5- There actually was some english

6- Taxis did not overcharge you because you are a tourist

7- You did not get diarrhea from the food or drinks

8- You were able to walk freely in any area at any hour of the day even as 2 girls

9- etc.

You should have posted this in the Hong Kong forum rather than the China forum.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

Well, TA has a city rating. And HK ranks third in the least friendly locals list, behind Moscow and London.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

I find this post hilariously rich, coming from a German. With the exception of Munich, haven't yet found a big city in Germany with even halfway friendly locals. And Germans have their own cultural habits that if you inadvertently mess up and fail to follow, will unmercifully let you know it. I haven't personally found HK people especially unfriendly, just typical big-city occupied with their own issues and assuming you'll deal with yours. I've actually received many helpful acts of stranger kindness in HK. I think it is fair to say that HK'ers are pretty fed up with the hordes of invading mainlanders, which would make any city crabby.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

JDP has a nice list about the good things of Hong Kong. But unfortunately some of them has become problems in recent years...

>>> 3- You weren't pickpocketed

Actually this has always been an issue in Hong Kong for a long time. No big crime, but lots of petty crimes. Outright robbing is rare, but pickpocket-tings are plentiful. I have been very careful of my wallet but have been victimized, still, once over the years. They can read you. Pickpocket-ting is so easy to do in crowded places (and there are lots of them in Hong Kong). They target people who are in less alert states - chatting (on phone or to others), busy looking at something, half drunk. If you are 6 foot 5 inches, it is less likely that they will pick on you because the risks to them are high.

>>> - Seems like nobody tried to scam you

>>> 6- Taxis did not overcharge you because you are a tourist

Many travelers reported... taxi scams have becoming issues - seems much more so now than when I lived there 25 years ago.

- Take a much longer route, inflate the meter charges

- Quickly add up some bogus charges to the metered fare

- Flat don't go with the meter, charge on on an arbitrary figure

- Use a special glass, shatter the door window on purpose, dunk you for the high repair charge

- Switch your tendered banknotes (like $500 or $1000) with a lower value note and play dumb

So... be on the look out and try to avoid to be a victim.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

Yes my point is everything is relative. While anything can happy everywhere, the occurrence is rather small compared to many places around the world, including many places in Europe.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hongkong - the unfriendliest place in china?

I'll put in my 2 cents. As I said, HK is perceived by many tourists to be unfriendly, and I can certainly understand that. It is a very crowded city (the most densely packed city in the world?), so people are not very polite by western standards. Couple that with the hurry up and money is king attitude, then it's no wonder tourists who come for a relaxing vacation don't feel the love.

But I do disagree with some of OP's points.

1. HK has become quite clean in the last few years, after SARS. Public toilets are quite clean. Streets are not very dirty.

2. Waiters are "unfriendly" in some restaurants, noticeably cha chan tangs. But not so in many middle tier restaurants. And if you go to some place like Lung King Heen, you'll experience service not seen anywhere else in the western world.

3. Yeah people rush everywhere in HK. Don't stand in the way. Like I said, very crowded place and people are in a hurry.

4. At McDonalds in the US you are supposed to leave the trays for workers to clean. HK is not Germany. If you want Germany, then stay in Germany. Why travel anywhere and complain it's not like Germany?

5. Table sharing is customary in HK. No one asks, no need to. It's HK custom. Again HK is not Germany.