We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions under renovations for Olympics

china
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Attractions under renovations for Olympics

I am concerned about the renovations for attractions in Beijing now. For example,

(a) Temple of Heaven (especially Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest) (b) Forbidden City (especially Hall of Supreme Harmony),

(c) Summer Palace,

(d) Tiananmen Square

(e) Beihai Park

I would appreciate anyone could provide an update on the renovation progress in the above attractions. I am planning to visit Beijing in May 07 but may change my plan due to the renovations.

Thank you.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

As of March 24th, 2007 when I visited these sites:

(a) Majority of Temple of Heaven renovation is completed. Sorry I do not know exactly whether the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest is finished.

(b) Forbidden City: Hall of Supreme Harmony closed, as are about 20% of the other buildings

(c) Summer Palace: closed, several of the other buildings are open

(d and e) did not visit

Hope you will be able to plan a visit that suits your desires. May would probably not be very nice in terms of weather, recommend fall instead. By then more of the renovations should be completed.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Related to these closures, does anyone know of a website that updates what is closed and when it will reopen? Has the Liulichang area been completed? We will be there in early June. Thanks. Marlyne

Beijing
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Answer Huatah and Mbruce,

a: all of the hall is open now in Temple of Heaven.

b:Hallof Supreme Harmony and Gate of Sipreme Harmony are closed now untill next year.the Gate of Devine Pride(north gate of Forbbiden City) is closed too.

c:only the Hall of Benvolence and Longervity is closed,cover about 300SM.but should remember the Summer Palace covers 2.9million square metters.

d:only Chairman Memory Hall is closed.from March to Sep this year.

e:only some small buildings being rebuilding now.

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Hi San Fransico64

You mentioned May not a good time to visit beijing? Do you mean it's there rainy season? Thanks.

Hi Konglin

Seems like lots of halls in forbidden city will be closed. But is it still all right to visit these attractions or we should come later of the year?If there's still at least something to see... then i might oso be planning to visit in may.

Thanks

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Personally, I think May is a pretty good time to visit Beijing. It is usually not too hot and doesn't rain all that much.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Yes,most of the interested places under renovation now

(a) Temple of Heaven (especially Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest)

Finished renovation ,open now,remember to see the buildings on both sides this hall

(b) Forbidden City (especially Hall of Supreme Harmony

Still closed,even open you can't get inside the building,they have pictures and paitings around the renovation site,hope this makes you feel better:)

(c) Summer Palace,

Most parts open,the first hall called The hall of Benevolence and Longevity,closed

(d) Tiananmen Square

Chairman mao Memorial hall closed and History museum closed.

(e) Beihai Park

The island some buildins still under renovation

View still nice,at lease most buildings still open,May the weather here nice ..

Good luck

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Hi travelveret & Chineseqing 08

Thanks so much for your info. Doubts solved. :D Maybe planning in may since travelevret mentioned quite gd weather. Thanks. :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Hi

Anyone have feedbacks on the weather of end jun and mid july? Will it be very hot or rainy? Might not be able to visit in may already. Thanks for your help.

china
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Hi SanFrancisco64, konglinBeijing and Chineseqing 2008

Thanks for the update on renovation progress of the attractions.

It's a setback that Hall of Supreme Harmony is still under renovation as I think many of us would agree that it is the most important building in the Forbidden City.

For (c) Summer Palace, may I check is the 17 Arch Bridge, Long Corridor, Marble Boat or The Pavilion of Buddhist Fragrance in Longevity Hill currently under renovation?

For (e) Beihai Park, is the white dagoba under renovation?

Lastly, is Tiananmen Tower (building with Mao's portrait) under renovation?

Once again, a big thanks to anyone who is able to provide update.

Beijing
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Attractions under renovations for Olympics

Hi Huatah,

Summer Palace, the 17 Arch Bridge, Long Corridor, Marble Boat and The Pavilion of Buddhist Fragrance in Longevity Hill

Beihai Park, white dagoba

Tiananmen Tower (building with Mao's portrait)

all of them open to public now.